Re: Update on Nasa TV
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Greg2600 wrote:

There are NASA programs that air on other channels, like PBS, Science, and National Geographic.  The HDNet broadcast of a shuttle launch is a NASA production. 

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/nasa_on_tv_schedule.html

That's all good and well, but there are many other hours of coverage on the NASA feed (like grappling the Hubbel, the space walks, etc.).  These may not be as impressive as launches and landings (all HDNet typically carries), but they are of interest to many people.  I would much rather watch them on my 52" TV than squinting at my 19" monitor and be able to record them to my DVR when I can't be home for them.

0 Likes
Greg26001
Contributor - Level 2
I agree with you, although this time next year, NASA won't have much to broadcast for quite awhile.
0 Likes
justsomeguy
Nothing compares tot he real time NASA feed - I wanted Hubble this morning and it is NOWHERE!  What am I paying for here?
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@justsomeguy wrote:
Nothing compares tot he real time NASA feed - I wanted Hubble this morning and it is NOWHERE!  What am I paying for here?

You can always got the NASA web site and get a streaming versionof NASA TV.  Not the best quality, but better than nothing.

0 Likes
nascaraddict

We Need and Deserve the NASA TV Channel.

I was so disappointed when I switched from Directv and was told it was coming soon and that was 2 years ago!

I've read a lot of posts and I have to agree, management isn't listening to it's customers.

Every other television source carries NASA TV, yet the self proclaimed best(Verizon) doesn't. What Gives?

Thanks for your work on this issue Techman!

0 Likes
hart_oc

It appears Verizon is simply ignoring the request to carry the free feed from NASA.  My contract ends in July.  With no NASA TV and the fact that I'm some what disappointed with the lack of on-demand HD, I'll be switching back to DirectTv..

I hope Verizon adds NASA between now & July!

Tony from South Calif

0 Likes
pshuli

Great. I live in Andover MA and would really love to see it here! Thanks for doing what you can. Let me know if there is anything I can do on the local level also.

Paul

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

It is not rocket science. Verizon must just be willing to make it avalable. Perhaps it's not that important to them. You would think we would be. Come on Verizon! Do you want me to come show you how? Come on, if you just added one new QAM Channel you could have all of them and give what others don't.

I'm a local cable or satellite service provider. What do I need to carry the digital NASA Public Channel?

Assuming you already have the necessary hardware (C-Band-size receiver and IRD) here's satellite information you and/or your technical staff should find helpful:

Digital NASA TV is on satellite AMC 6, Transponder 17. In Alaska and Hawaii, digital NASA TV is available on AMC7, Transponder 18C.

NASA TV provides only C-band digital service (no Ku-band).

Here is additional satellite information you may find helpful:

Digital Satellite C-Band Downlink for continental North America:
Uplink provider = Americom
Satellite = AMC 6
Transponder = 17C
72 Degrees West
Downlink Frequency: 4040 Mhz
Polarity: Vertical
FEC = 3/4
Data Rate r= 36.860 MHz
Symbol = 26.665 Ms
Transmission = DVB
"Public" Programming:
Program = 101 (HQ1), Video PID = 0111 decimal = 0x006F, Audio PID = 0114 decimal =0x0072, AC-3 PID = 0115 decimal = 0x0073
"Education" Programming:
Program = 102 (HQ2), Video PID = 0121 decimal = 0x0079, Audio PID = 0124 decimal =0x007C, AC-3 PID = 0125 decimal = 0x007D
"Media" Programming:
Program = 103 (HQ3), Video PID = 1031 decimal = 0x0407, Audio PID = 1034 decimal =0x040A, AC-3 PID = 1035 decimal = 0x040B
"SOMD" Programming:
Program = 104 (HQ4), Video PID = 1041 decimal = 0x0411, Audio PID = 1044 decimal =0x0414, AC-3 PID = 1045 decimal = 0x0415

Digital C-Band Satellite Downlink for Alaska and Hawaii:
Uplink provider = Americom
Satellite = AMC 7
Transponder = 18C
137 Degrees West
Downlink Frequency: 4060 Mhz
Polarity: Vertical
FEC = 3/4
Data Rate = 36.860 MHz
Symbol = 26.665 Ms
Transmission = DVB
"Public" Programming:
Program = 101 (HQ1), Video PID = 0111 decimal = 0x006F, Audio PID = 0114 decimal =0x0072, AC-3 PID = 0115 decimal = 0x0073
"Education" Programming:
Program = 102 (HQ2), Video PID = 0121 decimal = 0x0079, Audio PID = 0124 decimal =0x007C, AC-3 PID = 0125 decimal = 0x007D
"Media" Programming:
Program = 103 (HQ3), Video PID = 1031 decimal = 0x0407, Audio PID = 1034 decimal =0x040A, AC-3 PID = 1035 decimal = 0x040B
"SOMD" Programming:
Program = 104 (HQ4), Video PID = 1041 decimal = 0x0411, Audio PID = 1044 decimal =0x0414, AC-3 PID = 1045 decimal = 0x0415

NOTES:
1. SOMD = Space Operations Mission Directorate
2. PCR (program clock reference) information is included within the Video PID by the Harmonic Encoders used by NASA TV
3. PMT (Transport Stream Program Map Table) settings are as follows:

Program = 101 (HQ1) = 0110 decimal = 0x006E
Program = 102 (HQ2) = 0120 decimal = 0x0078
Program = 103 (HQ3) = 1030 decimal = 0x0406
Program = 104 (HQ4) = 1040 decimal = 0x0410

A 'C Band' size satellite dish is needed to receive multi-channel NASA TV. It may also be necessary to modify some of your dish hardware, such as LNBs, to optimize performance. LNB's that are "phase locked" are recommended, though many models of "non-phase locked" LNB's should work. Check with your particular manufacturer for recommendations. NASA TV will not be making vendor specific recommendations and is not responsible for providing any downlink infrastructure.

LNB Recommended Minimum Specifications:
Frequency Stability: +/- 1.0 MHz
SSB Phase Noise:
Offset dBc/Hz

Offset dBc/Hz 1 kHz -60 10 kHz -75 100 kHz -85
Voltage: 15 to 24 VDC
Current: 100 to 250 ma.

NASA TV provides only C-band digital service (no Ku-band).

+ Back to Top of Page

GLOSSARY OF TERMS

"Addressable" – A type of IRD (Integrated Receiver Decoder) that can not only receive "free to air" digital TV signals but can also receive and store specially encrypted programming for rebroadcast.

DVB – Digital video broadcast.

FEC – Forward Error Correction

"Free to Air" – A TV channel that local cable and satellite service providers are "free to air" at no cost. Your basic, commercial "off-the-shelf" IRD can tune a "free to air" digital TV channel, provided you have a C-Band-size satellite receiving dish.

IRD - Integrated Receiver Decoder, a piece of equipment used to tune a digital TV signal.

LNB – Low Noise Block/Converter.

NTSC – National Television System Committee. The group responsible for setting the television and video standard used in the United States. NTSC also refers to the standard itself. (In Europe and elsewhere, PAL and SECAM are the dominant standards.)

PID – Program Identifier

SOMD – Space Operations Mission Directorate

TBD – To Be Determined.

NASA will update this Web page as new information becomes available.

Questions? Concerns? E-mail public-inquiries@hq.nasa.gov.
0 Likes