Verizon FIOS Movie VOD a ripoff
jimfios
I stopped using the VOD for movies. The issues I have are: when you rent a regular movie at the $4.99 rate you get a bad quality picture that does not even display at the full 16:9 ratio picture size. Then if you go to the $5.99 HD movie selections, you most of the time do not find the movie in HD. I have also a issue with the HD movies. I doubt they are true Hi Definition 720P, 1080I. There quality seems to be no more that 480P if that. Verizon needs to compete with the other providers of movies. With the quality and prices the way it is I am inclined to go back to BB and rent the one day rate of $1.99 and get a quality full 16:9 movie in 480P. Anyone else feel this way?
0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Movie VOD a ripoff
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I will find out more information regarding this topic and forward on the concerns and feedback.

Thanks,

Harles

0 Likes
jmcohen231
Contributor - Level 3

the movie that I rented from VOD was available in both SD and HD (not sure why they feel obligated to charge an extra $1 for HD), and I chose to watch the movie in HD.  the quality was certainly HD, and I was satisfied with it.

my main beef is that they hardly offer any free movies, let alone any free HD movies.

0 Likes
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

Jim(jimfios) -

I just sent an email to a subject matter expert in my office to see what kind of information I can get (and also what kind of information I will be able to share on this forum).

I hope to have captured more information for you by End of Day.

0 Likes
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jimfios wrote:
I stopped using the VOD for movies. The issues I have are: when you rent a regular movie at the $4.99 rate you get a bad quality picture that does not even display at the full 16:9 ratio picture size. Then if you go to the $5.99 HD movie selections, you most of the time do not find the movie in HD. I have also a issue with the HD movies. I doubt they are true Hi Definition 720P, 1080I. There quality seems to be no more that 480P if that. Verizon needs to compete with the other providers of movies. With the quality and prices the way it is I am inclined to go back to BB and rent the one day rate of $1.99 and get a quality full 16:9 movie in 480P. Anyone else feel this way?
I was just advised that we deliver HD VOD at 1080i resolution. If you are experiencing signal degradation, I would recommend contacting the Fiber Solutions Center at 888-553-1555.
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Harles wrote:

@jimfios wrote:
I was just advised that we deliver HD VOD at 1080i resolution. If you are experiencing signal degradation, I would recommend contacting the Fiber Solutions Center at 888-553-1555.

Let me retract my statement. Verizon broadcasts up to 1080i. For "older" movies that were produced when HD was newer, they were not made in 1080i so they would not be available in this format. However, HD Movies are up to 1080i.

Thank you,
Harles
Quality Support Team
Verizon Telecom

The information provided in this informal post is believed to be correct, but should not to be construed as a binding agreement. Verizon’s applicable tariffs, rates and terms will govern under all circumstances.

Message Edited by KaLin on 05-05-2009 09:46 PM
0 Likes