Verizon better not drop WJAR or I will switch back to Cox
mjpreston1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I will swich back to Cox even though it will kill me to do so.  Time to act responsibly and reach a deal.

Re: Verizon better not drop WJAR or I will switch back to Cox
FiosHappy
Enthusiast - Level 1

HAHAHAHA....well good luck to you and COX.  Their service pales in comparision to Verizon Fios!!  And honestly I've lived in this state for 39 years and can do with out WJAR and it's blown up news crew...the only thing I'll be missing is bad news...and with all the technology out there I can stream Sunday night football to my television from my FIOS driven computer!!  For all the plus I get I can live with this one minus.  Smiley Very Happy

cayriawill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please take a look at my post here about most of the facts that are available: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/FIOS-dropping-WJAR-TV-as-of-12-31-11/m-p/385431#M12...

What is to stop WJAR/Media General from doing this to Cox when their contract is up.

0 Likes
joyceleslie

I have had cox and verizon verizon is not better then cox

and if channel 10 in rhode island is lost I will return to cox

I am so upset and feel I was mislead by verizon

You should do everything to maintain channel 10

I would never have signed up w verizon if I had known what you were going to do

shame on you

0 Likes
cayriawill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@joyceleslie wrote:

I have had cox and verizon verizon is not better then cox

and if channel 10 in rhode island is lost I will return to cox

I am so upset and feel I was mislead by verizon

You should do everything to maintain channel 10

I would never have signed up w verizon if I had known what you were going to do

shame on you

I highly suggest you read my post on the other article (Link is two posts up) This is not just Verizon, this is broadcasting companies that want to increase their own profits and this time Verizon trying to look at the cost per consumer.

0 Likes
RIGuy29

Eventually Cable/Telco companies will need to take a stand and not continue to pay higher and higher prices for broadcast programming that is available free over the air (As WJAR states quite succinctly.) That may mean some customers will lose some of their more popular channels for short periods of time until the broadcasters realize what type of impact they have in losing a partnership with companies such as Cox and Verizon. While rate increases aren't directly related to contract costs for retransmission, it certainly doesn't help.

Cox however just renewed their contract with WJAR and other local stations recently so there should be no retransmission battles for those channels for at least the next 3 to 5 years. 

For the customers saying that they would drop Verizon for not providing WJAR, what are you thoughts on the bi-annual price increases by Verizon for offering the same services, because these are a partial cause for those increases. So you either want to pay a premium for the channel, or you can live without it. Unfortunately, you can't have both nowadays.

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

You don't see the difference in picture quality over Cox? It's night and day, and I was spending just as much if not more for less speed/channels on cox.

I do not want to lose channel 10 as I watch football and some shows on it, but I'd rather deal with that loss than go back to Cox.

0 Likes
RIGuy29

Considering Verizon and Cox receive the broadcasts in the same picture quality and rebroadcast them to their customers using the exact same technology made by the same company, no I don't see a difference and neither does anyone else. Verizon's unfounded claims of the "best picture quality" were just that. Media hype. Perhaps you fell hook line and sinker like others did? That's all well and fine but not everyone does. Including those who actually have something to do with the situation. See below:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ad-watchdog-slaps-verizon-fios-201943766.html

Perception =/= Reality. Especially when that perception is based on claims by customers you paid to take your surveys.

0 Likes
Replete
Contributor - Level 1

Cox pq varies a lot by region, but it was pretty bad when I had it. There have been a lot of comparisons of Fios to Directv though and it's not hype, you can look at comparison images and see a clear difference, particularly when it comes to fast moving scenes you notice the difference in compression with heavy pixelation, and it's even worse on cox.

There is no mass disillusionment going on, I have a developed a well trained eye for image quality, and I can assure you there is no better choice for a quality signal in our region than Fios.

It sounds like you have not been happy with fios for a while, so maybe you should switch back anyway no matter what happens with wjar. I still think there may be something going on in your setup though that you can't appreciate the full quality of the fios signal though.

0 Likes
cayriawill
Enthusiast - Level 2

@RIGuy29 wrote:

Considering Verizon and Cox receive the broadcasts in the same picture quality and rebroadcast them to their customers using the exact same technology made by the same company, no I don't see a difference and neither does anyone else. Verizon's unfounded claims of the "best picture quality" were just that. Media hype. Perhaps you fell hook line and sinker like others did? That's all well and fine but not everyone does. Including those who actually have something to do with the situation. See below:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ad-watchdog-slaps-verizon-fios-201943766.html

Perception =/= Reality. Especially when that perception is based on claims by customers you paid to take your surveys.

Verizon and Cox do not use the same equipment to rebroadcast the picture. With Cox it is a matter of how close you live to their distribution hub since it is on copper cabling from there and will lose quality over distance. Cox starts broadcasting their signal at approximately 25 db and the most loss you can have is upto around -40db before you have no picture. Verizon on the other hand keeps everything on Fiber Optics to the side of the house and is broadcast at around 30db from the Optical Network Terminal on the house. Fiber optic can carry a signal for alot farther with little to no signal loss then copper can. This is why Verizon in geneal can have a clearer picture.

EDIT: I was not paid to write this and to put that the picture from Verizon was clearer than Cox in WARWICK, RI with a 1992 4:3 24" RCA TV and a newer 32" Sony Bravia 

0 Likes