Re: Verizon dropping WUSA9 on Dec 31
LewisCarroll

We watch 25% of our FIOS TV on WUSA (Channel 9).  And we pay a lot for Verizon providing Internet, Phone and Fios services.  Verizon has a contract with each subscriber to provide certain channels.  The fact that a major channel cannot be provided by Verizon because of a dispute between Verizon and Tegna is a material breach of Verizon's contract with its subscribers.  Notwithstanding anything in writing Verizon has stated, the subscribers are third-party beneficiaries to Verizon's contract with Tegna.  Therefore, notwithstanding any penalty for terminating FIOS services that Verizon has imposed on its subscribers, they have breached their contract with the consumer, allowing us, if we choose, to terminate the K w/Verizon and use a different provider without penalty. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon dropping WGrz channel 2 Buffalo NY
Nightmare2

As a loyal Verizon customer, I feel I should get a refund until you resolve your dispute with Tegna owned stations. Channel 2 NBC affiliate is my favorite station for news and network shows. Why should we pay to get an antenna when we faithfully pay you every month for our programming. I don’t know what the beef is between your two companies but why do we the customer have to suffer because of this. Our bills never go down so please don’t tell us you are saving us money. I just want my channel 2 back. Please resolve this or I will need to look elsewhere for another provider.

0 Likes
prdcrkat

Has anyone contacted Verizon to see if it is possible that we can leave since they are breaching the contract that they have with us?  I tried yesterday but the chat person was clueless and then they kicked me out of the chat so never got an answer.  I'm thinking since they are in breach of our contract for the specific channels we should be able to leave without having to pay anything?

0 Likes
Chelle12

For the life of me I can't understand how Verizon has to negotiate the price for a channel that u get for free with an antenna. I would like to know if I cancelled my service with Verizon would they waive the fee for early cancellation being that I'm not getting what I'm paying for. Customers pay to much to have these issues.

0 Likes
FudgeG
Enthusiast - Level 2

I agree! It makes no sense that Verizon can't offer this channel anymore.  We pay enough for cable TV as it is. This is just another reason why I'll be dropping cable TV and getting rid of the expensive 'rental' fee on their cable DVR boxes. I will be only be streaming conent as soon as my contact expires.

md99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is what I saw for options. on the WUSA9 web site.  https://www.wusa9.com/verizon

Consider switching to a new video provider or tell Verizon to bring back WUSA9 by calling 1-877-680-8909.

You have choices. WUSA9 is available on other video service providers in our area including DIRECTV, Comcast and Cox and you can always get WUSA9 free over-the-air.

1-800-531-5000

1-800-934-6489

1-800-234-3993

You can also access WUSA9 programming over many over-the-top (OTT) providers like DIRECTV Now and YouTube TV that offer instant access when you sign up.

0 Likes
md99
Enthusiast - Level 3

Might be time to look at cutting the cord.    YouTube TV looks pretty interesting....

0 Likes
JAWZ1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Much of the blame for this situation is a result of how the FCC chose how Internet Service Providers (ISPs) would deliver internet service to customers years ago. They (the FCC) essentially decided to re-create the "old Bell System" style of service.

If you go back in time, American Telephone & Telegraph (AT&T) built a "single provider" service model also known as The Bell System. (Can you say, "monopoly?") It was a "closed system" and you could only get telephone service from AT&T and their wholly owned regional subsidiary companies (Northwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, Atlantic Bell, Southwestern Bell, etc.) The regional companies had exclusive access to the AT&T Bell System. Even as a customer, at one point you were prohibited from adding a phone device in your home. (For instance, if you had a phone in your kitchen, you had to not only pay to have a phone installed in your bedroom, but you paid a higher monthly rate because you more than one phone instrument, which by the way was owned by the phone company.)

In 1982, the Justice Department decreed that AT&T had to relinquish control of the Bell System along with its infrastructure and allow other companies access to that infrastructure. This led to the rise of new "carriers" like MCI and Sprint. Now, phone customers were allowed to choose their phone carrier and get service at a competitive price, using the same system that had once been the proprietary property of AT&T.

Now, wouldn't be nice if you had that choice for ISPs? Well, you do in a fashion, but unfortunately for those of us in the USA, you have to lock in to an agreement with a proprietary provider. While most of the rest of the world, gets to choose their ISP based on price and service level. The ISPs all have equal access to the entire infrastructure and can offer competitive pricing and levels of service. If the USA ISPs were structured this way, it would be far more competitive and there would be far more providers.

Think about how many "wireless" (cell phone) providers there are. Not all of them have built their own wireless infrastructure. That's why wireless providers like Consumer Cellular can sell you services at less cost than the "big" cellular providers. They simply buy the excess bandwidth from AT&T and T-mobile. So they don't have to maintain the infrastructure, they can offer you cheaper rates. If the ISPs were structured/regulated (I know for some that's an ugly term for some) "Dave's ISP" would have access to the infrastructure of FiOS, Comcast, Cox, etc., maybe offering you a better deal.

So, at your next opportunity, send a "thank you" card to the FCC for screwing the American consumer.

0 Likes
COMET65
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just watched ch. 9 with my old antenna up in the attic. All the local channels come in fine. And about 15 others. I might just cancel my fios cable and just watch the free H.D. over the air! The cash I would save from my Ultimate H.D. package would pay for a few internet channels, like HULU. and a lot of rentals at red box.

channel9wusa
Enthusiast - Level 1

Are you reducing our bill each month?

Appreantly it is 5.99 to get channel 9 back.  This accouring to your own ad.  Please reduce my bill by 5.99.

Also how do I cancel?  I watch the local channels so I'm moving to cable.