How to "fix" the WUSA (CBS) blackout
mgshn

The outage was cause by TEGNA, the company that owns WUSA, wanting to charge Verizon double the current rate. They may have figured doing this so close to the super bowl would give them leverage.

I think it's important that the people inconvenienced by this, maybe all million of us, let TEGNA know how we feel. The best way in this high tech Internet age is to give them a call and leave them a DETAILED description of the impact of their attempt at a money grab.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon dropping WUSA9 on Dec 31
Ward4NDC
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was shocked New Year's night to find out WUSA9 here in Washington, DC had gone dark on Verizon Fios. There are a few CBS shows I watch on Verizon Fios. However, Channel 9 suggested that Verizon Fios switch to another cable provider. I left Comcast in 2012 switching to Verizon Fios due to their fiber optic lines and Internet. DirectTV is required to have an outside antenna and many people I know have lost their reception with DirectTV due to bad weather. I have always had a Verizon landline telephone since the 70's and I will never get rid of my landline telephone or Internet with Verizon. To be honest, I rarely watch WUSA9. I was very upset when they got rid of Me-TV for a couple of months and I complained to Verizon's Chairman/CEO in New York City filing complaint with the D.C. Attorney General. Maybe Verizon Fios consumers can filed complaints with their Attorney Generals regarding this matter. 

0 Likes
rover-lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I installed a small in-house terrestrial antenna and receive a picture superior to that I'm accustomed to receiving via FIOS. Perhaps the cable-cutters aren't wrong.

rover-lover
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was one of the very first FIOS customers in my area and have been a loyal Verizon customer for over 25 years.  My faith in them is shaken by this episode, to say the least.  This contract with the affiliate owner has been coming to it's end since the day it was signed. Now, it's a "we're negotiating a resolution for our customers" line of crap.  As a retired contracting officer, I'd have been fired on the spot for allowing such an important contract to "sneak up on me" and result in this kind of situation.  Verizon is now the one with the gun to their heads due to their innept business practices.

All this occurs as they arbitrarily drop beloved networks without considering their subscribers.

This is not a good arena to demonstrate a take it or leave it attitude as others are surpassing the technology previously held as state of the art by Verizon.  As a matter of fact, after seeing the incredible picture provided off a cheap in-home terrestrial antenna necessary to view WUSA 9, I now see the viewpoint of all the cable cutters out there.  I don't believe this is what Verizon should be using to tempt us to stay!

Lastly, from a contract law perspective, by dropping a network of this magnitude, regardless of the "fine print" in their terms and conditions, I feel them to be materially in breach of contract with all of us.  I did contact Verizon and was given a one-time credit of $7.29.  I recommend EVERY ONE OF YOU do the same. It adds up. Money talks. The other stuff walks!

0 Likes
Tegna fued
mystybee1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to know if we will see an adjustment on our bill now that we cannot access and watch channels owned by Tegna.   We certainly should not have to pay as much as subscribers who do not live in Norfolk VA, Washington DC and Buffalo and who are not affected by this disagreement between Tegna and Verizon.   It is time to stop playing the blame game and give your subscribers the services they pay for.  

0 Likes
Re: Tegna fued
mikea_va

You have to contact Verizon to give you a one-time adjustment of $5.99.    Think it would be automatic, but it is not!Smiley Mad

0 Likes
Re: How to "fix" the WUSA (CBS) blackout
HerrWizard

It's not Verizon's fault they had to discontinue rebroadcasting WUSA in the DC market, it's all on TEGNA for trying to jack-up the price Verizon has to pay to distribute WUSA to Verizon's NoVA FIOS customers. Talk about hubris. FIOS is going to provide a far more consisitent signal delivery than WUSA would enjoy over the air to WUSA's customer base yet TEGNA insists on extorting higher rates from that very customer base for that delivery. I, for one, support Verizon telling TEGNA to pound sand with their rate increase and am off to purchase a high def antenna for my TV.

0 Likes
WUSA9
snuffysmith1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why can't Verizon pick up CBS from another market? (Baltimore or New York)  That way we get the CBS shows and can watch the other channels for local news.  

Re: How to "fix" the WUSA (CBS) blackout
mgshn

I agree that TEGNA is the "villian" in this and was trying to suggest that people impacted by their greed flood their switchboard as a way of displaying their disgruntlement. 

A HD antenna may not be the answer for everyone. Even if you are lucky enought to have a place to plug it in, I don't, there is still the matter of losing DVR capabilities.  

Good to know about that Verizon will provid a billing adjustment to compensate for the CBS online service fee and I'll give them a call.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon dropping WGRZ on Dec 31
Disappointed49

When I signed up with Verizon FIOS, I was provided with a list of channels that would be provided and required to sign a contract.  Is Verizon now in breach of this contract?  Are others impacted like me?  Thoughts?

0 Likes