Very poor audio quality on Comedy Central
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am experiencing really bad quality audio on Comedy Central since I had fios installed on Oct 28th.

It doesn't sound so bad on my little 13 inch TV in my bedroom (does sound a bit odd though), but it sounds blown out and over amp'd though my stereo in the living room. Lots of distortion, very loud levels, very little stereo separation (and no prologic surround), while also sounding muffled. It's like the sound you would get out of a $10 clock radio with the volume maxed. I am in the Pittsburgh area, but I've gotten confirmation from other areas on other fourms that they are experiencing it as well.

I know it's not Comedy Central itself because I had my Comcast cable for awhile before it got cancelled and the audio was normal there.  Comedy Central is the only channel that exhibits this issue.

I have a 6xxx series HM-DVR, but as I said the problem exists on my standard def box in the bedroom.  I've tried power cycling all the equipment including the ONT (which I didn't think would solve anything, but I thought I would try.)

The only conclusion I can come to is something is goofed up way up the chain from where Verizon obtains their feed from Comedy Central so I thought I would post here in the hopes of elevating this far enough up the chain to do something about it.

Also, something I remembered as i was watching a recording of the Colbert Report, some commercials (including all the Verizon ones) have normal quality audio (there was just a nutra-system one that was normal).  I can only assume that these are local spots so the problem seems to be manifesting itself before the local commericals are inserted.
Message Edited by bull3964 on 11-21-2008 05:41 PM
0 Likes
Re: Very poor audio quality on Comedy Central
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I must have caught someone's eye.  Less than 24 hours after I posed the question, audio on Comedy Central is substantially improved.  I no longer have to dive for the remote to turn down the volume when I tune to the station.  Audio levels are still a bit hot compared to the rest of the stations and the local ad inserts, but it no longer sounds muffled and distorted.

Thanks to who ever it was that passed the info along.  I would love to know the technical details as to what happened and what was done to fix it, but I'm happy that an issue I've been having for a month is gone.

Message Edited by bull3964 on 11-22-2008 10:37 AM
0 Likes
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3
And now, sunday, the audio quality as reverted to what it was before.  Loud, boomy, and distorted.
0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this issue on 5 sd local channels here in the seattle area...Was told i get an unfiltered signal and it's

the stations...so why aren't there a ton of complaints?

0 Likes
vbdallas
Enthusiast - Level 2

{You have received information in your private message box -- > . It should be gold. Please Read.} 

Message Edited by KaLin on 02-04-2009 10:58 PM
0 Likes
johnb731

Same problem here, only had fios tv for a week. Poorest audio quality of all the channels but yet one of my favorite channels, so a fairly unimpressive start. Was there any definite solution here? South Park is rolling now so i cant wait for the HD channel to be added. Help!

setup

TivoSeries 3HD with 2 Morotola cards.

HDMI or optical out to a Yamaha 7.1 receiver
audio poor on both cablecard tuners, on both numbered channels for comedy central.

(im assuming the # number is a placeholder for the forthcoming HD channel!)

i also have a fios setop box, which is running either optical or coax audio out to the same receiver. ill have to doulble check but

id believe its the same there too. audio problem on the tivo is still a problem either way.

Message Edited by johnb73 on 04-28-2009 07:43 AM
0 Likes
CSimpson
Contributor - Level 1

I have the 6xxx series HM-DVR and do not experience any issues with Comedy Central (chan 190).  I watch a TON of South Park and never had issues with audio.  Sounded fine thru my TV speakers and now thru my Onkyo receiver and bookshelf speakers.

Is it with all shows on CC?  Or just a select few?

I will mention that I have had issues in the past with some primetime shows like Lost, Big Bang Theory, and Chuck where the audio track/channel carrying the voices would sometimes cut out and all you could hear was background noise and the laugh track.  It would usually happen immediately after the commercial break ends and would last for about 5 minutes.  Very odd, but hasn't happened in a few months.

0 Likes
johnb731
its all shows, all programming on the two numbered "COMEDY" labelled stations... I suspect its not being broadcast with the right audio encoding if so many people also have a problem. Possibly mono or plain stereo/joint stereo. Depending on the quality of your setup, most people might not even notice or care to mention it. I think that back in the day just before the HD channels where coming out on TimeWarner for FX, BRAVO, etc, the same thing happened to me then. It magically resolved itself when all the channels were finally brought online.

Its just bad timing being in the middle or near end of the SP seaon.
0 Likes
bull3964
Enthusiast - Level 3

I wouldn't say it's bad timing since it's been horrilbe from day one for me in the Pittsburgh VHO.  It is a Verizon specific issue as I was able to a/b compare it to Comcast for the first week of service because I had both at the time.

It is all programming and most commercials.  The local ad inserts sound fine.  This is the only channel I watch regularly that exibits the issue (but there may be others I just don't watch.)

Honestly, I've just taken to watching The Daily Show and The Colbert Report on hulu and South Park from South Park Studios most of the time.  The internet streams are higher qualtiy audio and video than watching Comedy Central as an actual station.

I keep hoping it will all be made moot shortly if Verizon ever announces a deal with Viacom to carry their HD stations, but we just seem to be getting more and more sports programming instead.

Message Edited by bull3964 on 04-28-2009 09:30 AM
0 Likes
gotroot801
I've only had FiOS for a few weeks, but I've noticed the same thing about Comedy Central's audio.  Granted, the only show I watch on Comedy Central is South Park, but I noticed it right away, with no improvement.  It seems worst during the opening to the show.  No other channel that I watch regularly has this issue.
0 Likes