Re: We May Lose ABC, Freeform, ESPN, and Disney Channels
hallrk
Contributor - Level 2

Thank  you for settling this issue and keeping ESPN channels on the air. I really didn't want to change but would have if they had gone away. Saves me a lot of trouble that I don't need right now.

0 Likes
Losing ABC, ESPN, wusa9
red131
Enthusiast - Level 1

Feel that fios is not negotiationing in good faith, why else would so many stations be at a point where they are leaving verizon.

Me for one if this happens will be looking for another Service (comcast, Drirect)

Verizon almost seems to be a monopoly and I think they are using their status to strong arm these companies

DB571

While you are not required by law to carry pure cable content providers such as Disney or ESPN, the 1992 Cable Television Consumer Protection and Competition Act which was upheld in a 1997 Supreme Court decision (Turner Broadcasting Systems vs. Federal Communications Commission) by a 5-4 majority, requires that cable systems include all local television stations within the provider area. This means you can't drop WABC.

0 Likes
kdormer11

I have  been a customer since Verizon went door to door signing people up.I was ticked off by them dropping the weather channel now channel 7 and ESPN Cmon with what Verizon charges and the companies it has taken over you don’t make enough money.I have the entire Fios package that you first offered but if you are going to continue to drop channels that people normally watch with no compensation then I’ll be leaving.Why don’t you redo a survey and drop some of the really lousy channels you carry and are not viewed by many people why because you have to fill you line up and to hell with the customers.This is really lousy customer  service.Here’s hoping you come to your senses and pay the bill.

0 Likes
kdormer11

I have  been a customer since Verizon went door to door signing people up.I was ticked off by them dropping the weather channel now channel 7 and ESPN Cmon with what Verizon charges and the companies it has taken over you don’t make enough money.I have the entire Fios package that you first offered but if you are going to continue to drop channels that people normally watch with no compensation then I’ll be leaving.Why don’t you redo a survey and drop some of the really lousy channels you carry and are not viewed by many people why because you have to fill you line up and to hell with the customers.This is really lousy customer  service.Here’s hoping you come to your senses and pay the bill.

0 Likes
Re: Loss of ABC ESPN (right before the bowls games!)
bbvvmm

This is totally money generated. We pay so much for cable and continue to get less and less. Drop Disney. They make money hand over fist. As well as all the cable providers. Even if you do not watch sports, someday you will be affected by a favorite station being dropped over money. 

0 Likes
Disney
BobFIOSCustomer

Hold your ground with Disney don’t need there programming, and don’t need a rise in pricing for it...

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I can't cite the exact law, but there have been modifications to the must carry law over the years.

Local channels now have two options:
1) Claim must carry. Cable systems must carry the content on the channel requested by the local channel. But cable system is not required to pay the local channel for its content. I believe this is the avenue a lot of smaller channels pick.

2) Local channels can neogtiate for their content. They negotiate the price that the cable companies will pay for their content. In the case of WABC, it was part of the Disney deal as they are owned by Disney. In the case of WUSA in DC, it is owned by a larger company (Tegna) that is negotiating this as part of a larger number of channels.

Ready to cut the cord
BluIze
Enthusiast - Level 1

A few years ago, Verizon stopped carrying several outdoor sports channels my husband watched regularly (and raised rates.) Then they stopped carrying the Weather Channel (and raised my rates.) Now they removed Cinemax from my movie package (and raised my rates.) Now - contract disputes with Disney. As of this morning CBS is gone. Just waiting for ESPN channels to be gone too. I guess it's time for me to be gone as well.

Re: Don't Drop ESPN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Harpo3

If they drop ESPN I'm headed to DISH TV in one form or another

0 Likes