Re: Weather Channel - Local Weather on the 8's
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

the reason for the discrepancies is that Verizon is a "regionalized" system. Last I heard they only have 15 VHO's (video hub offices) Each of those VHO's then send the channel to everyone in that area. So for example. Lets say that there is a VHO is Philadelphia and that VHO services Eastern PA, Southern NJ, and DE.  Now everyone that receives service from that VHO will get the same Weather info. So they provide the weather channel with the VHO location, in this case Philadelphia and everyone serviced by that VHO will get the local on the 8's for Philadelphia.

Now the cable companies have theirs set for local instead of regional. so they have LHO's (local hub offices). These are generally located in each city, or if the city is very large it may even go down to the zip code level. Thats why when you turn to their weather channel it shows it for the zip code you are in.

Here's the deal. The cable companies have been at this for 20+ years. They've had time to build all of these local offices and get the local info into their systems. Verizon has only been at this for what? 4 years? They havent had time to get the local systems built in. Other companies have had the same issue. Look at Direct TV, It took them about 10 years from the time that they launched back in 1994, before they got to the point that they could even begin to send the local weather info.

Given time so will Verizon. Shoot, it wasnt long ago when there was no such thing as local channels on Verizon. Now there are a lot of local channels becoming available with more being added all the time.  So progress is being made. It just doest happen overnight.

Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-05-2009 03:30 PM
Message Edited by spacedebris on 08-05-2009 03:31 PM
Barking_Pumpkin1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well said spacedebris!
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
My widgets gives me local weather just fine. In my town.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

yes, widgets are an internet based system. you put in you zip and it goes to www.weather.com and returns the weather for that zip. This is different from the local on the 8's broadcast

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I don't believe the widgets are based from weather.com, are you sure about that? The widgets are always wrong. Weather.com I respect. The widgets never match what weather.com is saying.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

If I want good weather I go to the web and judge for myself. Or look out the window.

http://weather.unisys.com/

If you believe the feds. Woops I'm off topic. Sort of. Smiley Indifferent

http://www.noaa.gov/

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@prisaz wrote:
My widgets gives me local weather just fine. In my town.

When widgets give me radar during severe weather warnings I will consider them acceptable in place of the 8's.

mabuka
I would say the widgets are practically useless....give me a channel with up to date radar...you want up to date local weather, flip to a channel and the most you wait is 10 minutes (like bay news 9 weahter on the 9's)...definitely something I miss from brighthouse.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@mabuka wrote:
I would say the widgets are practically useless....give me a channel with up to date radar...you want up to date local weather, flip to a channel and the most you wait is 10 minutes (like bay news 9 weahter on the 9's)...definitely something I miss from brighthouse.

After really looking at it, I would need to agree. Yesterday it was 96 in my area and they said 90. Weather detail is off. Just had my home town name but data is like the channel guide. Needs improvement.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Do any of you have NBC+ on channel 460? That channel here in North Texas provides a fairly decent local forecast and radar picture 24 hours a day.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes