Weather Channel is for wrong area
Yahzmin
Recently changed from Comcast to FIOS TV in Dover, DE and my weather channel is now showing Philadelphia, not Dover. Worse than useless. Been on hold for almost an hour waiting for tech support. No way to email these people for help. Any suggestions from anybody? We desperately need LOCAL weather information down here. Possible hail in Philadelphia means nothing when you are having tornado watches in Dover. Thanks.
0 Likes
Re: Weather Channel is for wrong area
psumatt1
Contributor - Level 2

Yahz- Unfortunately, you are out of luck. All of Northern and Central DE, Southeast PA, and Southern NJ is fed out of Philly. Verizon only set up 1 Weather Channel system at each VHO.

So, in Dover you see the weather for Philly, in Wilmington, you see it for Philly, etc. There is no use sitting on hold. VZ's answer was to simply use the widgets application to get more local information.

Really a downside to FIOS TV if you're into weather.

0 Likes
Homelizard
Enthusiast - Level 2
I had the same issue in my area and I did check into it. Although they explained the same thing to me, they also said that they intend on adding more localized Weather Channel areas in the near future. Hopefully, one will be in your area (and mine!).
0 Likes
Just_helping
As psumatt said, looks like widgets is your best option here. Keep in mind, with the widgets you can change location by pressing the "info" or "options" button on the remote and typing in a new zip code (then press OK). Use the up and down arrow to scroll through the forecasts. If there is potentially a tornado, I imagine the local channels will carry that information.
0 Likes
clearpix
Here is another idea:  If you tune to ch 49 WeatherScan, you will see the city Dover come up along the top of the screen and give you full details of your local forecast.  It confused me one time when I thought I was looking at Philly weather, but realized that it cycles through Philly, West Chester PA, Trenton, NJ and Dover, DE.
0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

There is a place where you can help from verizon techs online here;

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

You will have to join the site but others in the forums have said they have been helped there.

0 Likes
Yahzmin
Thanks, I know that Channel 49 rotates through the Dover area, but the maps are all still for Philadelphia, not 'downstate'. Weather patterns shift significantly down here and a lot of our weather comes up or across from Maryland, which you can't see on these maps. Very frustrating. But I appreciate your effort!
0 Likes