Re: What happened to star information on movies?
Justin46
Legend

@lanelle wrote:

Just called FIOS  to ask and was told that's just the way it is as part of their "changes" to "improve" the guide.  Since they used to do it for years, I don;t see it as an improvement but just another way to provide less service.  The cast members are an important part of movie watching decisions and should be available for all movies since they are provided for "on demand" and "pay for view".  Is there any reason for this other than "that's just the way it is"?

Lanelle,

Please provide specific examples of movies that do not have cast info.

1) You said this before, I checked, and all of the movies I looked at clearly had cast info.

2) I just checked again, about a dozen or so movies, on a variety of channels, included in my package and premium, and all had cast info.

3) I went to VOD and looked at a number of movies, multiple suppliers, and all had (somewhat limited) cast info.

4) I do not happen to have any movies currently recorded so I could not check that, but as someone said earlier, if you recorded a movie didn't you know who was in the cast before you recorded it?

So, I plain and simple do not undersand your statements. Again, you need to provide specific examples.

Keller, TX 76248

lanelle1

If you checked the guide on Sunday, the cast members are available.  I'm also in North Texas (Denton) and on my remote the rest of the week the cast (or stars) is not available unless you go to search and spell out the movie.  But, if you are browsing by the favorites button or the guide button if you press info once the description appears without any cast or stars---if you press a second time, it goes back to browse position.  If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what it is.  And, if it can and is provided on Sunday, why not the rest of the week?  Seems silly---so no Kudos from me.

0 Likes
lanelle1

OK Justin, July 30, Thursday---all premium channels--I press the favorites button to bring up the guide and scan channels 340 thru 431 which include Starz, Encore, Show, Movie channel, HBO, Cinemax and a few others.  I see the title and brief description of a movie I want more info on, so I press the INFO button and it switches to description mode but still has no cast members.  If I press the INFO button again, it goes back to the guide mode and I can scan farther down, but no matter which channel I go to in the guide mode, there are no cast or "Stars" listed.  However, on Sunday, June 26, the first couple of cast members were listed on all the movies.  So, what's the answer?  Is my remote different than everybody else's?  Am I really that "special".  Thanks and Aloha.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@lanelle wrote:

OK Justin, July 30, Thursday---all premium channels--I press the favorites button to bring up the guide and scan channels 340 thru 431 which include Starz, Encore, Show, Movie channel, HBO, Cinemax and a few others.  I see the title and brief description of a movie I want more info on, so I press the INFO button and it switches to description mode but still has no cast members.  If I press the INFO button again, it goes back to the guide mode and I can scan farther down, but no matter which channel I go to in the guide mode, there are no cast or "Stars" listed.  However, on Sunday, June 26, the first couple of cast members were listed on all the movies.  So, what's the answer?  Is my remote different than everybody else's?  Am I really that "special".  Thanks and Aloha.

Sorry for the delay in responding, have been up at our lake house in Cooke County north of you, unfortunately no FiOS up there.....

OK, Lanelle, July 30, Thursday Smiley Very Happy

1) I cannot hit the Favorites button to get the Guide because apparently I have my IMG configured differently, but....I do not have 340, etc, in my Favorites list as I have an HD TV and STB so I have 840 there, etc, so I hit the Favorites button to change to view all channels.

2) I hit the guide button to view the channel Guide (all channels)

3) I type in 0340 to get to channel 340

4) I hit the Info button and get the rather abbreviated Program Information screen, no cast info (program is Residend Evil: Afterlife)

5) I hit Info again, I see the Full Info screen, contains cast info and complete summary of program

6) I then went to 431 and did the Info, Info button pushes, get the Full Info screen, cast info, etc.

7) I randomly went down the channel list and looked at several other channels, all worked as they should.

Now, you and I are in the same VHO, so our experience should definitely be exactly the same. But obviously it is not. I have no idea why it isn't. What model STB are you using? I no longer have any SD STBs so I cannot do any testing on one of them.

Somewhat off topic - Question: Any reason why you (apparently) do not use the Toggle Flip by Favorites setting for the Favorites Button and Favorites1 (or Favorites2) for the Flip by Favorites setting? At least for me, makes using Favorites in the Guide much easier.

I wish I could explain why we see different things, but I can assure you it works here, the cast info is available, and I am only about 20 miles away......I guess the gremlins are hard at work in Denton..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

sdistefano11725
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't like this "improvement" either.  I am a former Optimum customer and I liked the info their guide provided...rating stars and more accurate program descriptions with cast names whether the program is live or recorded.  I don't like the abbreviated program descriptions that Verizon provides...seems unnecessary and most times the abbreviation is silly.  They should just have 1 description.  There are even times when the episode description of shows I watch regularly are inaccurate. Also I saw that Si TV has LA Law on Wednesdays at 9 p.m.  Their website shows this yet Verizon's guide doesn't.  I posted this on Facebook and they insist it's still on. 

Verizon please make improvements on your guide.  Please listen to what the customers want!!!

0 Likes
Vibra64

Verizon tech support on the phone SUCKS!!!! I too have lost the Cast and Crew. When I hit Cast and Crew, I get a message that "the information cannot be displayed at this time" I have 3 FIOS boxes. Happens on all 3 boxes and on all channels. This was working fine up until about 2 months ago.

I called Verizon "tech support" HA HA Support? They reset on my boxes. No good. They did not know squat.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over ten years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes