Why can't I share recordings between 2 HD DVRs?
RPVHOME
Enthusiast - Level 1

We recently installed FIOS.  Started with one HD receiver in the bedroom and a multiroom DVR downstairs.  We didn't realize you couldn't control recording from the HD receiver, so got limited value from that set-up.  Decided to go back to what we had with cable which was 2 HD DVRs acting independently.

Although it shouldn't be a technical challenge, FIOS doesn't allow you to share recordings between DVRs.  Before we dump the the DVRs and move to Tivo, does anyone know if Verizon has any plans to add this capability?  It would seem trivial to add that functionality, but perhaps there's a good reason they don't offer it.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why can't I share recordings between 2 HD DVRs?
prisaz
Legend

@RPVHOME wrote:

We recently installed FIOS.  Started with one HD receiver in the bedroom and a multiroom DVR downstairs.  We didn't realize you couldn't control recording from the HD receiver, so got limited value from that set-up.  Decided to go back to what we had with cable which was 2 HD DVRs acting independently.

Although it shouldn't be a technical challenge, FIOS doesn't allow you to share recordings between DVRs.  Before we dump the the DVRs and move to Tivo, does anyone know if Verizon has any plans to add this capability?  It would seem trivial to add that functionality, but perhaps there's a good reason they don't offer it.

Not likely with the current version of DVRs. But that is just my opinion. Verizon has been at battle with Tivo.

Not related but possibly slowing development, and release of the next generation of DVRs.

Do a Google search on Tivo sues Verizon and AT&T. Time shifting technology on DVRs.

Latest is Microsoft sues Tivo.

There is much controversy regarding the DVR technology and everyone is grabbing at it in regards to patent rights. In my opinion Tivo was the first, but now Microsoft jumps in.

I own A tivo and don't thing I will need two. Just installed terabyte drive in mine. But I do not have sharing abilities with only one box.

View solution in original post

Re: Why can't I share recordings between 2 HD DVRs?
prisaz
Legend

@RPVHOME wrote:

Not likely with the current version of DVRs. But that is just my opinion. Verizon has been at battle with Tivo.

Not related but possibly slowing development, and release of the next generation of DVRs.

Do a Google search on Tivo sues Verizon and AT&T. Time shifting technology on DVRs.

Latest is Microsoft sues Tivo.

There is much controversy regarding the DVR technology and everyone is grabbing at it in regards to patent rights. In my opinion Tivo was the first, but now Microsoft jumps in.

I own A tivo and don't thing I will need two. Just installed terabyte drive in mine. But I do not have sharing abilities with only one box.