Why so little programming with Dolby/Surround sound?
BiggerJohn

I wonder why there are so few programs with Dolby Surround. Even OTA programming has surround sound. 

0 Likes
Re: Why so little programming with Dolby/Surround sound?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are asking peers here.

What are you referring to.  Most primetime Local and many other channels(e.g. movie channels, sports channels) have Dolby surround.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@BiggerJohnwrote:

I wonder why there are so few programs with Dolby Surround. Even OTA programming has surround sound. 

Dolby is both a platform and a device(s)

most programs broadcast in stereo where available. However you must have the devices to listen in that format.

in example most HD TV’s have chameleon Dolby, it needs the Dolby surround sound 5.x etc. what ever version they are on now.

Dolby programs may be broadcasted but like I said you must have the equipment to enjoy it. 

Sort of like the old days when mono was the format then stereo came along.

progress, isn’t it wonderful?

0 Likes
BiggerJohn

I do have the equipment. I have a rather extensive surround sound system that performs wonderfully when the program provides the singal as is the case with Nexflix. The FIOS program guide includes in the discription if the program is stereo or surround with an icon. MOST of the programming is in stereo. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@BiggerJohnwrote:

I do have the equipment. I have a rather extensive surround sound system that performs wonderfully when the program provides the singal as is the case with Nexflix. The FIOS program guide includes in the discription if the program is stereo or surround with an icon. MOST of the programming is in stereo. 

Which is the norm for most tv services. Cable does the same thing in they tell you the movie or show us broadcasted in Dolby surround or Stereo 

i use Apple TV 4K devices and even with this not a load of HD quality sound, mostly just stereo and we have the Dolby as well. Not everything is broadcasted in this format.

0 Likes