Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you switch and bring your phone.

Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Reply
ncard
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-18-2010

Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 1 of 11
(1,044 Views)

When I press the DVR button I expect to be taken to the DVR menu where I can select recorded programs to watch. However today I was taken to an On Demand advertisement. Please stop this. This is very annoying.

 

I could understand if I was visiting low rent  web site on the Internet, but this is a service I am paying a large amount of money for each month. If I want to see "One Demand" I'll press the "On Demand" button.

 

-Neal. 

10 REPLIES 10
tns
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,759
Registered: ‎05-22-2010

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 2 of 11
(1,044 Views)

Not seeing this. You don't happen to be on 1.9?

doropallo
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II
Posts: 107
Registered: ‎04-01-2011

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 3 of 11
(1,037 Views)

I don"t have 1.9 and everytime I turn on any box and hit menu the spam pops up, offering some VOD purchase, not liking it.


@tns wrote:

Not seeing this. You don't happen to be on 1.9?


 Let me edit to add only after intial turn on.

Dave
matcarl
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Posts: 1,426
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 4 of 11
(1,017 Views)

Yes, Verizon does this at least once a week like you said when you first watch the box for the first time of the day. It happens when you press any menu related key, it is annoying.

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,820
Registered: ‎08-23-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 5 of 11
(1,015 Views)

I am sure it is Verizon's way to keep you up to date with VOD if you have had your box off. But.

 

I agree the VOD marketing gets to be a real pain. If I want VOD I will order VOD. Even when you hit the menu button at any point, the first thing you get is VOD. I wish they would use the VOD button for that, and have the Menu default to something useful. We don't need the VOD in your face 24/7. I guess the On Demand star button on the remote is not large enough.The comercials I HATE, and that is a strong word. Can you find a better way to make money off of that air time, than annoying customers? We all know VOD is available.

 

Smiley Sad

tns
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII
Posts: 1,759
Registered: ‎05-22-2010

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 6 of 11
(1,010 Views)

I am not sure what might turn this off but try menu, settings, television and disable interactive TV and Recommendation for you. 

 

I know I always hated pop up of  these kind on a different vendors DVR and so set both of them to disable when I first went through the settings menus.  Perhaps that is why I never saw the mentioned pop up. 

Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 7 of 11
(996 Views)

@prisaz wrote:

I am sure it is Verizon's way to keep you up to date with VOD if you have had your box off. But.

 

I agree the VOD marketing gets to be a real pain. If I want VOD I will order VOD. Even when you hit the menu button at any point, the first thing you get is VOD. I wish they would use the VOD button for that, and have the Menu default to something useful. We don't need the VOD in your face 24/7. I guess the On Demand star button on the remote is not large enough.The comercials I HATE, and that is a strong word. Can you find a better way to make money off of that air time, than annoying customers? We all know VOD is available.

 

Smiley Sad


I never see VOD when I hit the Menu button. Are you referring to it always starting on Featured on FiOS when you hit Menu? If so, yeah, I find that mildly annoying, I think it should default to Messages, but really, I don't hit the Menu button more than maybe once or twice a week anyway, so it really isn't a big issue to me that they try to hype VOD there.

 

__________________________________
Justin
FiOS TV, Internet, and phone user
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 8 of 11
(995 Views)

@tns wrote:

I am not sure what might turn this off but try menu, settings, television and disable interactive TV and Recommendation for you. 

 

I know I always hated pop up of  these kind on a different vendors DVR and so set both of them to disable when I first went through the settings menus.  Perhaps that is why I never saw the mentioned pop up. 


Agreed, I hate pop-ups of any kind, unless they are to identify a significant problem of some kind.

 

I have my settings the same way you do, maybe that is the reason I (we) don't see what others say they are seeing.

 

__________________________________
Justin
FiOS TV, Internet, and phone user
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 6,820
Registered: ‎08-23-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 9 of 11
(992 Views)

Yea I mean Featured on FiOS. Sorry. Press here to spend more.Smiley Very Happy

Justin
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
Posts: 5,173
Registered: ‎08-05-2008

Re: Why the Spam when I press the DVR button?

Message 10 of 11
(990 Views)

@prisaz wrote:

Yea I mean Featured on FiOS. Sorry. Press here to spend more.Smiley Very Happy


Which I never do Smiley Very Happy If I can't find something on VOD to watch in the free stuff, including the premium channels I subscribe to, I just find something to watch on the live channels or something I have previously recorded, or I go read a book or something. I never, ever expect to pay for any VOD, I am already paying Verizon enough (and that would be true no matter who my provider was). Just me I guess.....

 

__________________________________
Justin
FiOS TV, Internet, and phone user
QIP7232, IMG 1.8, Build 02.54
Keller, TX 76248

How-To Videos
 
The following videos were produced by users like you!
   
Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started


Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Posts

Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title