Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Will the Extreme plan get cheaper because of the channels that are being taken away?

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Will the Extreme plan get cheaper because of the channels that are being taken away?

Message 16 of 42
(5,134 Views)

@spacedebris wrote:

OK, so I should have said it wont go down.

No problem spacedebris. Everyone is a bit upset about losing channels, and the notice that was sent out. At least with the move from Premium to Extreme, you were able to keep what you had until your bundle expired. Now it looks as if the clause in the TOS is being used. I was thinking of upgrading, but now I may just go back to 15/5 only internet. I may go back to DTV because my wife is pushing for some channels FIOS does not have. I may not need a perfect picture, but will miss it. Many of the requests for new channels have gone un answered. Yes many were added with the Premier to Extreme when the analogs were dropped, but that has been more than a year. I have no problem with a price increase because of rising cost to add many of the channels asked for in the 667+ posts in the sticky thread. Where is the free nASA broadcast that has been asked for time and time again. Perhaps there are limits to their limitless fiber and Verizon is hiding something. They are putting the cart before the horse. Adding the few channels to the Ultimate and removing them from Extreme was a dumb idea. I remember at one time suggesting an Ultimate or Supreme type package that gave all premiums at a discount. Well they did a bundle with all Premiums last year for $30, it did not go well enough so lets push people to get premium channels so they don't lose what they have. How S T U P I D! I can say BUTT but S T U P I D gets filtered. I myself dropped all my premium channels last year because I did not want or need them, and because of budget concerns. So this is like sticking a knife in me and twisting.

misterjoey
Contributor
Contributor

VZ is overpriced, still manages to take away channels.

Message 4 of 42
(5,526 Views)

I am angry that this overpriced FIOS service is yet again moving more channels to higher tiered price packages and also removing some premium content attached with premium pricing.  I ordered Korean language programming for my parents. They already had a poor Korean lineup from the beginning with only 4 channels, while DirecTV had 8.  The cost was already overpriced at 25 dollars extra per month and they recently removed two of the channels without changing the price.  This is a rip off as DirecTV offers 8 channels in this package for the same price.  Honestly, I am very disappointed with FIOS service.  You are really paying more for less with Verizon.  TV quality looks the same to the human eye over fiber cables or through the air with a dish.  The phone service is overpriced, with a Verizon expensive long distance plan required to get "promotional rates" that are still very high compared to the competition.  The internet, although provided more bandwidth, isn't that much noticeable faster.  I couldn't really tell the difference with 10Mbps cable and the 25Mbps service I have now.  Basically overpriced service.  Why am I still with them?  They won't let me get out of the contract, even though they changed the premium programming on me.  They just suggested I drop the package.  What kind of customer satisfaction is that?  I used to admire Verizon on the wireless side for their outstanding service and customer service, but FIOS is a joke.  It's not all that it's cracked up to be.

P.S. They charge outrageous rental fees for each box! 20 bucks a month for HDDVR?!  and I still don't get most of the HD channels they offer.  RIP OFF. 

Customers need to write and call in to complain to make notice of this customer abuse.

spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Re: VZ is overpriced, still manages to take away channels.

Message 9 of 42
(5,437 Views)

@misterjoey wrote:

I am angry that this overpriced FIOS service is yet again moving more channels to higher tiered price packages and also removing some premium content attached with premium pricing.  I ordered Korean language programming for my parents. They already had a poor Korean lineup from the beginning with only 4 channels, while DirecTV had 8.  The cost was already overpriced at 25 dollars extra per month and they recently removed two of the channels without changing the price.  This is a rip off as DirecTV offers 8 channels in this package for the same price.  Honestly, I am very disappointed with FIOS service.  You are really paying more for less with Verizon.  TV quality looks the same to the human eye over fiber cables or through the air with a dish.  The phone service is overpriced, with a Verizon expensive long distance plan required to get "promotional rates" that are still very high compared to the competition.  The internet, although provided more bandwidth, isn't that much noticeable faster.  I couldn't really tell the difference with 10Mbps cable and the 25Mbps service I have now.  Basically overpriced service.  Why am I still with them?  They won't let me get out of the contract, even though they changed the premium programming on me.  They just suggested I drop the package.  What kind of customer satisfaction is that?  I used to admire Verizon on the wireless side for their outstanding service and customer service, but FIOS is a joke.  It's not all that it's cracked up to be.

P.S. They charge outrageous rental fees for each box! 20 bucks a month for HDDVR?!  and I still don't get most of the HD channels they offer.  RIP OFF. 

Customers need to write and call in to complain to make notice of this customer abuse.

Your entire post is your opinion. not fact. If you want facts then compare all the different companies out there. Include them all and forget any short term price discounts. If you compare all of them, you will find that they all differ in content a little, but the basic prices all all the same. Once you add in all the hidden costs and fee's. There is no such thing as "the other company is cheaper". That is all just hype. And you fell for it. Yes some companies have more channels in a certain category or two, and yes, if you take advantage of a "special" that is being run, you can get short term lower costs, but at a cost of their own in terms of...Long contracts, higher rates when the special expires, hidden fees for otherwise included services, etc.

As for picture quality, something is wrong if you cant see the difference between a Satelite picture vs a Fios pic. I personally have both Directv and Fios. There is a huge difference in pic quality. Fios is only $3.64 per month more than my DTV with essentially the same programming on both.

Yes it is frustraiting to have channels pulled out on you. But this happens all the time on all carriers. Verizon is just pulling a lot of them all at once, whereas DTV pulled out roughly the same number of channels this last year, but did them one at a time spread out so it didnt look so bad. This is nothing new.

So while you dont like what happened and you feel outraged, dont lump us all together. I'm VERY happy with Fios and the prices are excellent. I've used 4 different companies over the last 10 years or so and the Verizon FIOS is by far the best. Do they have problems? Yes of course, all companies have problem. Have I been ticked off at Verizon? Again, Yes of course, I've had issues with every company I've ever had. But right now, as it stands, Verizon has been the best of the bunch so far. And the only reason I still have DTV is because fios isnt available at house #2 yet (plus, I just have to have the NFL package during football season)

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 10 of 42
(5,406 Views)

It my help to read one thread instead of creating another. There has been discussion here, and I hope to have it clarified by Verizon shortly. Yes they have moved a few channels to a higher tier. But it only effects you if your bundle expires or plan changes because you are month to month with no commitment. Look here for updates. I do not like the new bundle choices and have also voiced my opinion. HD should be HD and the existing HD should not be shoved into a bundle to suck you into a movie package. My 2c.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Programming/Moving-channels-to-more-expensive-tiers/m-p/172807#...

Rhodyman
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

Message 13 of 42
(5,356 Views)

Fios is not perfect but it blows away DirecTV and Cox (I've had both)!!! The Triple Play price is actually better than Cox's bundle deal and offers so much more. I was paying $110/mo. for D* alone, my latest Fios bill was $144 and included all 3 services. No contest.

prisaz
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 14 of 42
(5,321 Views)

@Rhodyman wrote:

Fios is not perfect but it blows away DirecTV and Cox (I've had both)!!! The Triple Play price is actually better than Cox's bundle deal and offers so much more. I was paying $110/mo. for D* alone, my latest Fios bill was $144 and included all 3 services. No contest.

I agree with you about price. I was in the same boat. But I may switch to DTV and internet only just because of the new marketing practices for the bundles. I have a custom 1 meter dish that does fairly well against rain fade. It and all coax has been parallel FIOS for 5 years. It may become live soon. (edit)

Mr_Upset
Contributor
Contributor

Message 17 of 42
(5,228 Views)

First off I would like to say this is just my opinion. Verizon like a lot of big company's have chosen to take the path of give less and charge more. This to me sucks as the customer however as a small business owner I can understand. What I do not agree with is Verizon acting like there not. What choice do you have all TV providers mistreat there customers. Because there are not enough people to stand up and say no more nothing will change. Honestly I don't know if any one else feel like HDTV is one ripoff after another. First you have to upgrade your TV  which could be very expensive. Then come all the extra cost for cable box service packages and on demand. And now they try and force more money out of us. But if this isn't bad enough HD is the standard as mandated by the U.S. government. So tell me why HDTV and not SDTV in-cures the extra costs. Why do we keep having to pay more for HD channels when HDTV is no longer a new technology. I cant speak for anyone else but if Fios stays on this path I will simply take my money else were.     

Caps09
Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Message 18 of 42
(5,204 Views)

@Mr_Upset wrote:

Why do we keep having to pay more for HD channels when HDTV is no longer a new technology.  

Because most programmers are charging extra for Verizon to carry the HD version of their channels. The programmers also demand that their channels are included in certain packages that will get the most subscibers. The customers (yes, us) demand that Verizon carries different channels (have you seen the thread for Fox Soccer Channel?), so like it or not, right or wrong, we all end up paying for new channels. Every time a new HD channel is launched, there's a certain segment of subscribers that demand it.

Some of you may say that channels should be sold to us individually. While that sounds nice for some of us who may watch two or three channels, think about this- Channel "x" now has 7 million subscribers paying $1 a month through wholesale costs. With a la carte, this same channel will now have maybe 100,000 subscribers if it's an average rated cable channel. In order for that programmer to make the same profit and be able to produce the content at the same cost level, those 100,000 people will have to pay $70 a month for that one channel. Just a thought. Maybe a cheaper or higher rated channel would only cost $35 or $40 a month.

bagolfer
Contributor
Contributor

Message 19 of 42
(5,155 Views)

I agree. I just got notified that my bundle was expiring. The price went up $5 per month, but I would lose all of the movie channels and would have to pay $15.99 extra to get them back, essentially increasing my price by $20.99. I opted to go with the ultimate package, assured that all of the previous movie channels will be included plus EPIX. I appears now as is I still won't get Starz unless I pay an additional $10/per month, although it may be region dependent ( I was assured by customer service Starz will be included. We'll see.)

It looks like Verizon is getting their direction from the airlines with nickel and dime fees.

spacedebris
Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V

Message 20 of 42
(5,148 Views)

Caps09, you are exactly right. What most people dont understand is that the channels carried by Verizon charges Verizon to carry it. (with very few exceptions). Therefor Verizon groups those channels in such a way as to maintain a profit margin. When channels start charging Verizon more to carry it, they move it to one of the higher plans to maintain the profit. Just look at the recent fight with fox and time warner. Fox wanted more money, time warner didnt want to pay. Fox nearly pulled their channel from time warner. Now in that case it was resolved publicly, which is why I think Fox was willing to negotiate. But in most cases these negotiations are held in private, the pubic doesnt know about it so there is no public opinion affecting the outcome, and why we never see it. once those negotiations are done, then the company in question (Verizon in this case) then re-oganizes their channel lineups and packages to put higher cost channels on the upper levels.

Now in this case, the only people affected are the people on older plans, none of the current plans are affected by the channel changes. The older plans no longer reflect a profitable system for Verizon and they are moving the channels to make it profitable again.

from a customer standpoint, this sucks. But from a business standpoint, it is just good business. As much as they would like to keep customers happy, the bottom line is profit, and that is the only reason they are there in the first place, to make money. Fine ballancing act.

They offer the faster speeds on internet because for all intents and purposes, faster internet doenst cost them anything but gives the customer more bang for the buck. They have to charge more for the video so they give more on the data and try to ballance it out.  Good or bad, thats the way it works

====================================================================================

Error exists between keyboard and chair.
How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.