Re: dropping bloomberg TV
arb_prophet
Enthusiast - Level 2

Absolutely outrageous.  Verizon has gone too far.  New Yorkers will not stand for dropping Bloomberg nor do we buy the **bleep** excuse given.  Verizon, you are out as soon as I find a replacement.  Bye!

cgreen23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Absolutely agree, this was a horrible decision. I DVR it, and it's one reason I leave my TV on in the morning.  It's the single most serious business news channel around (don't even talk about CNBC's frat-boys). 

Seriously, I would gladly pay more for that channel alone. Instead, I'm forced to pay for mountains of Barney Fife, hoarder scavengers, boatloads of sports I never watch – and Verizon has the nerve to tell me they're doing this to save me money?

Give me a break! Better yet, it reminds me of how far superior Comcast's user interface is.  Hmmm... 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

All of the cable companies would love to offer a la carte.

It is the content providers that won't allow it.
They bundle channels together.
So if you want the popular ones, you have to take the less popular ones as well.

And the contracts control what package levels channels are in as well.

That is why you might see a channel in a basic package, but not an intermediate one.

Verizon (like others I am sure) always have to manage costs vs revenue.

Have to imagine that they didn't resign Univision for no increase in cost.

Yet our cost can't go up because we have contracts.

Univision may not be content you watch.

But companies like Verizon have to look at viewership vs cost.

And I am guessing that that ratio for Bloomberg just didn't pass muster.

bloomy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Wondering if legally to cancel Verizon for breach on contract by dropping Bloomberg since it was part of the package.  Call FCC maybe.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you mean your contract with Verizon, no.

The terms of service explicitly state that Verizon can add and drop channels as they desire during the life of the contract.
There are no guarantees for specific channels.
And this is fairly common amongst all providers.

If you think about it, it needs to be that way. Unless they can sync everyones contract dates up, they could never remove a channel or would have to remove it from contracts and then wait up to 2 years for the last people that still had that channel in their contract.

And the same holds true for moving channels in and out of packages.

Re: bloomberg drop
Bkworm1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It was a bad decision by FIOS to drop Bloomberg TV.  When my contract with FIOS runs out I will change providers if FIOS does not rethink this decision.  Why does Comcast carry Bloomberg if it is such a bad business deal?

This is an important channel for me and one of the few that I watch consistently.  Support the people, like me, who are paying these high cable bills to subsidize ESPN and other sport channels.   

Re: Bloomberg TV will be removed from the Fios® TV channel lineup - NEED TO REVERSE THIS DECISION
jpmgc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Totally, totally agree.  Verizon's logic makes no sense and seems very self serving.  I watched Bloomberg more than any other station.  Boo to Verizon.

Striker39
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does this constitue a breach of their contract with the customer? I paid for said channels and they remove them yet my fee stay's the same. I will investigate and let everyone know. First the Weather channel which is just plain stupid if they think accu weather holds a candle to anything. My local weather is better than they are and now Bloomberg. Either way I will also be leaving Fios as soon as I decide which company to go with.

0 Likes
Pbaum457

Please reverse this decision. Otherwise you will lose serious-minded business people who care about unbiased news and straight forward reporting.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is the section of terms of service that covers this:

Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to change, rearrange, add, delete or otherwise modify the Service at any time, with or without prior notice to you, including changing, rearranging or otherwise modifying our Programming packages, the selections available in those packages, the Equipment, any Other Devices, and any other features, products and services that we offer. Verizon or its suppliers may, without notice or liability, restrict the use of any Services or limit its time of availability in order to perform maintenance activities and to maintain security. Not all services may be available in all areas.

And I understand this is similar to other cable providers.

0 Likes