fios dropping WYBE international news channels
samdemann
Enthusiast - Level 1
Why is FIOS dropping WYBE international news channels??? These are important sources of international news and a great service to the community. And why can't I send an email directly to Verizon? I'd expect this kind of service from the evil empire of Comcast, but not my phone company.
Re: fios dropping WYBE international news channels
cpierson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I agree completely; losing these channels is just not right.  I had a beef with Verizon before for dropping the Funimation channel and now NHK is going away.  I'd like to know why....

Why are they cancelling WYBE France 24
wap1010
Enthusiast - Level 1

Very disappointed in the decision to pull the only French Language Channel on FIOS  - particularly as it is already a pay per view station.  

International News, France 24, NHK, RT
disgruntled23
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon FiOS has pitifully few international channels, and now they've announced that three int'l news stations are being removed: France 24, NHK (Japan), and RT (Russia).  We're already an ill-informed and self-involved nation; we should expect our communications companies to remedy that situation, not reinforce it.

This is really, really a shame.  I cannot imagine that they cost so much.  

Re: International News, France 24, NHK, RT
HughGordon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Agree completely.  These three channels undoubtedly cost them next to nothing. The so-called explanation explains nothing.   I've been a Verizon FIOS customer for 5 weeks and am serious thinking about getting out because of this.  I wrote to complain and got back the usual corporate garbage, as follows: 

Verizon is working to provide the most robust entertainment programming in the industry. We understand how important it is to have access to your favorite channels on FiOS TV.

Feel free to register for the Verizon Community Forums, and add your suggestion for a FiOS TV channel:

KJKJ11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Politics! These 3 channels are free, and there is no reason for Verizon to drop them other than because of some political feud, or some untra-con at Verizon thinks they are too liberal for his/her liking.  I'm calling to cancel my 2 year contract and going back to antenna and Clearwire.

doh1
Enthusiast - Level 3

i'd like to voice my displeasure too. doesn't verizon have to carry these over the air channels?

0 Likes
Haybale
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am very upset about losing NHK, especially as I am in the broadcast area of WYBE, Philadelphia.  It provided brilliant coverage of the Tsunami, it provides cultural exposure to the Asia pacific, and just the other day it provided about 20 minutes of news on the President's tour of Myanmar/Burma.  You won't get that on any US station.  Why won't FIOS give us an address to write to for station requests or complaints?  My wife and I truly enjoy this station, we even enjoy the music they play when showing the weather of the world-haha.  To delete a public broadcast station without proper survey of the customer base must be the reason why!

gmstewart
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seems the action of a monopoly run amok. Often the French international news provides better video coverage of our local events than the useless local news that mostly shows its typical "talking heads" and incessant commercials. The Asian news channels give a look into different cultures and indepth coverage of items otherwise overlooked.

Please bring back these channels AOL/Verizon and make your product worth buying.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes