high end duplicate channels
bszaronos

Hey all,

I was wondering when i check my guide i have all of these duplicate channels .

normal channels are 1-481 ,hd 510-931, sports 1000-1499

but then 1500-1729 are duplicate channels.

for example the food network is

164 normal

664 hd

and 1621 ? It plays the same episodes as the others and it's not in another language, and its not in hd.

What are these duplicate chanels ? 

thanks all. 

0 Likes
Re: high end duplicate channels
matcarl
Master - Level 1
They are all grouped together for anyone that buys the Spanish package. 
0 Likes
MisterBill
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yeah, that is really annoying to see the same program listed multiple times. They should find a way to find those channels from the guide if you already have the same channel earlier. The only channel that I think we have access to that is not a repeat is ESPN Deportes at 1520. My son always enjoyed watching that on cruise ships to the Caribbean where they'd pick up that and CNN International.
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@matcarl wrote:

Sorry. But I am in agreement with them. I know it is convienent for the Spanish programming users. But why don't we just have the Spanish programming up there? I know it was a 100% improvement when the were taken out of the middle during the Extreme upgrade, but would be nice of those QAM freqs were used for more HD like NASA. No? I wonder if it is actually transmitted twice or if it is just a guide duplication.

As for the OP and others, that is why the favorites exist. Just make your guide what ever you want.

Message Edited by prisaz on 06-20-2009 11:40 AM
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@prisaz wrote:

@matcarl wrote:

Sorry. But I am in agreement with them. I know it is convienent for the Spanish programming users. But why don't we just have the Spanish programming up there? I know it was a 100% improvement when the were taken out of the middle during the Extreme upgrade, but would be nice of those QAM freqs were used for more HD like NASA. No? I wonder if it is actually transmitted twice or if it is just a guide duplication.

As for the OP and others, that is why the favorites exist. Just make your guide what ever you want.

You dont need to worry about the freqs used up by those channels. Verizon has so much bandwidth available to it right now on the fiber that the usage of those does not affect it yet. Last I heard we are only using about 40% of our available TV bandwidth right now. HD programming is comming as we get the contracts and such to do the broadcasts. But the delay is not in relation to the ammount of bandwidth available. What would help this situation most is the ability to customize the program guide to show just the channels that you want to see. Hopefully that will be an upcomming feature.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

spacedebrismark wrote:

What would help this situation most is the ability to customize the program guide to show just the channels that you want to see. Hopefully that will be an upcomming feature.

Huh? You can customize the Guide by using the Favorites function. And you can very easily set one of the Favorites to be the default when you hit the Guide button, see this thread about customizing the Favorites:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=5083

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Huh? You can customize the Guide by using the Favorites function. And you can very easily set one of the Favorites to be the default when you hit the Guide button, see this thread about customizing the Favorites:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_TV&thread.id=5083

Keller, TX 76248

Sorry. I guess I didnt explain myself well. Yes I know that you can set favorites and that is all well and good. But what I ment was the ability to customize the MAIN guide. I guess I got spoiled on both Tivo and Direct tv where they allow the main guide to be customized to just show the channels you want to see. I'm still hopeful that verizon will eventually give us this option too.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@spacedebrismark wrote:

Sorry. I guess I didnt explain myself well. Yes I know that you can set favorites and that is all well and good. But what I ment was the ability to customize the MAIN guide. I guess I got spoiled on both Tivo and Direct tv where they allow the main guide to be customized to just show the channels you want to see. I'm still hopeful that verizon will eventually give us this option too.  Smiley Wink

But you can make the main guide "disappear" with the Favorites, so you will never see it, and all of the duplicate channels, if you set your Favorites up correctly. That is what the post I referenced tells you how to do (I know, I wrote it, if it is not clear then tell me what isn't and I will fix it). If you haven't actually read it, I suggest you do, you might be surprised with what you can accomplish with just a little effort.

The ONLY time I see the full guide is when I specifically want to, which is very, very rare. I hit the Guide button and all I see is my Favorites, period. Try it, you might just like it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@spacedebrismark wrote:

@prisaz wrote:

@matcarl wrote:

You dont need to worry about the freqs used up by those channels. Verizon has so much bandwidth available to it right now on the fiber that the usage of those does not affect it yet. Last I heard we are only using about 40% of our available TV bandwidth right now. HD programming is comming as we get the contracts and such to do the broadcasts. But the delay is not in relation to the ammount of bandwidth available. What would help this situation most is the ability to customize the program guide to show just the channels that you want to see. Hopefully that will be an upcomming feature.
Bandwidth is not the issue, hardware for all those duplicate channel frequencies being transmitted is. I would much rather see the rest of the available HD put on those QAM channels.
0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2
I agree this is annoying, but I will say that putting a channel on 2 numbers does not take up ANY bandwidth.  It is just set in the active channel map at the headend of the system
0 Likes