just switched to Fios
alanm47
Contributor - Level 1

I also just switched to Fios from Direct tv.  My first impression of Fios is generally positive. I love the picture quality and I'm thrilled that I can finally watch my local sports teams on the CSN philly sports channel. Other reasons why I switched are...

1. I got so tired of losing my signal almost every time it rained. "searching for signal" 

2. I also got tired of losing my signal in snow storms and then having to clean the snow off the dish.

3. My Dish had to be readjusted every few months.

4. I also got numerous signal break ups (blocking and pixelation) and my dish did have a clear view with no obstructions.

5. I finally realized that Direct tv was too expensive and was overpriced. I got a much better deal with Fios.

Also, when I got my Direct tv DVRs for $200.00 per unit, I was told that I owned them and even paid an extra monthly fee as a warranty on the units. When I called to cancel my Direct tv service I was told that I did not own them and if I did not return them I would be billed $500.00 per unit. They told me the $400.00 I paid for the DVRs was an "upgrade fee". I was also informed that they would not remove the dish from my house. I had to pay someone to do it or just climb up on the roof my self and do it. When I got my final bill from Direct tv there was a $240.00 fee for "early termination". I had direct tv service for over ten years!! I have called Direct tv numerous times about this. After about a half dozen calls and speaking with numerous agents they finally agreed that I did not owe this $240.00 and I would get a refund. The refund never came......no adjustment was ever made to my bill. Now when I call back they know nothing about it..... It's very frustrating..... I'm now sorry I waiting so long to make the switch. Direct TV is a ripoff!!

I do hope that Fios will come out with a new guide. I really don't like it. I also hope they upgrade their DVRs. Generally I'm very happy with Fios and I have no regrets with making the switch. 

0 Likes
Re: just switched to Fios
robk_11
Enthusiast - Level 3

uh-oh.  I'm getting ready to do the same switch.  Thanks for the post as I can mention the issues you brought up with direct tv so I don't get hosed the same way.  That's strange with the receivers.  I know when my dad cancelled direct tv they didn't ask for the boxes back.  were your boxes newer receivers?

0 Likes
alanm47
Contributor - Level 1

I had the HD DVRs and not the most recent ones. Direct TV has really been playing me since I switched to Fios. Every time I call them about the overcharge I get a different story. What they are doing is illegal but they don't seem to care much. The last time I called they change the story to....  that because I paid $200.00 plus $6.00 per month warranty for a new receiver in my bed room last year that it also require an additional two year commitment. Of course they never mentioned that at the time, I was actually told that I owned the receiver when I got it. The only time I ever agreed to a two year commitment was when they put up my high def dish an that was almost four years ago.....  They do lie a lot there. I plan to file a complaint with the BBB and if that doesn't work I'm going to go to our local TV news consumer reporters and see if they would be interested in doing a story on Direct tv's business practices.....  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Reason to switch to FIOS and not upgrade the DVRs and STBs with DTV. I did not fall for that one. Yes the DTV $200 is an upgrade fee and yes you do not own the boxes. I believe you need to read the fine print. There is a commitment for upgrade of the DVRs to cover the costs of the DVRs that they say is about $600+ which you do not own. I still have my SD DTV Tivo that yes I own. But to upgrade it to an HD DVR they wanted me to pay the $599 and they still owned the box. I don't think so! Many customers did not agree to this so they came up with another plan to cover the cost. If you want to own your own hardware with FIOS you have the option of Moxi or Tivo and a cable card. But the $15.99 for a HD DVR with FIOS is not bad. Not to mention DTV wants you to pay for the DVR through the upgrade fee and monthly commitment. I am not bashing DTV but had to comment on this one since I had DTV for 10+ years and did not want to pay for hardware they owned.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@alanm47 wrote:

I plan to file a complaint with the BBB and if that doesn't work I'm going to go to our local TV news consumer reporters and see if they would be interested in doing a story on Direct tv's business practices.....  

Dont bother with the BBB. Most of the complaints that I've issued about companies I had issues with fell on deaf ears via the BBB. I was even talking to the guy who owns a local restraunt (I didnt have any complaints against him, we were just {word filter avoidance}one evening) and he was telling me that most of the local business owners couldnt give a rats {word filter avoidance}about what the BBB said or did.

If you really want to get at DTV (or any "entertainment" company) call the FCC or issue a complaint with the District Atterneys office. That will get their attention. I did that with one of Verizons Competitors {please keep it relevant}and I got a response and the problem was resolved so fast that it made my head spin. Just my 2 cents worth.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@spacedebris wrote:

@alanm47 wrote:

I plan to file a complaint with the BBB and if that doesn't work I'm going to go to our local TV news consumer reporters and see if they would be interested in doing a story on Direct tv's business practices.....  

Dont bother with the BBB. Most of the complaints that I've issued about companies I had issues with fell on deaf ears via the BBB. I was even talking to the guy who owns a local restraunt (I didnt have any complaints against him, we were just {word filter avoidance}one evening) and he was telling me that most of the local business owners couldnt give a rats {word filter avoidance}about what the BBB said or did.

If you really want to get at DTV (or any "entertainment" company) call the FCC or issue a complaint with the District Atterneys office. That will get their attention. I did that with one of Verizons Competitors {please keep it relevant}and I got a response and the problem was resolved so fast that it made my head spin. Just my 2 cents worth.

The BBB is a waist of time, but if you look, Verizon has fewer complaints then the competitors. I just can't see what is the problem. Is this thread going anywhere, and how does it relate to Verizon? Seems like it should be in a directv forum. Like I said if you read the fine print and looked into the agreement with directv, you probably would have never gone down that road. I know I didn't, and waited for Verizon to get TV service to upgrade. With a cable company you can complain to the public service commission for your state or the local franchise office for cable, but with DTV you would need to go with the FCC. One of the benefits with DTV is no state or local franchise taxes. But who do you go to, the FCC? If the fine print stated the terms, than your in a jamb. Send the box back pay the termination fees and or bite the bullet.

My last 10cents. Inflation.

0 Likes