"Free" for life DVR?
Sltpsu15
Enthusiast - Level 2
Question about this "free" DVR for life that I have. I just got off the phone with Customer Service, and was told it is actually free for 5 years, not for life. Is this true? I do not recall reading these terms when I got the deal. Anyone else know?
0 Likes
Re: "Free" for life DVR?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1
Question about this "free" DVR for life that I have ... was told it is actually free for 5 years, not for life. Is this true? ...

Before I respond, please tell us how old you are right now.

Old Henny Youngman joke: "Doctor gave his patient six months to live.  Couldn't pay the bill.  Gave him another six months."

Sltpsu15
Enthusiast - Level 2
99 1/2...drs say I won't live past 100.
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Sltpsu15 wrote:
99 1/2...drs say I won't live past 100.

Getting serious for a moment, I too am interested in your query since my promotional package includes the "free for life" proviso.  However I've only been using the service for about a year and a half, so I haven't yet encountered any billing problems with the DVR.  I wonder if the promotion was even offered five years ago, so that someone here might be in a position to comment.

0 Likes
Sltpsu15
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have had mine for about the same amount of time. I have been plagued with billing problems, the promo wasn't applied to my account properly and I have been trying to get it fixed for way too long. When I called yesterday they said they will just need to do manual adjustments each month or give me other incentives that equal the 19.99/mo. That's when they threw in that it wasn't for life - only for 5 years.
0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Sltpsu15 wrote:
... I have been plagued with billing problems, the promo wasn't applied to my account properly and I have been trying to get it fixed for way too long. When I called yesterday they said they will just need to do manual adjustments each month or give me other incentives that equal the 19.99/mo. That's when they threw in that it wasn't for life - only for 5 years.

I think you have a very good argument that should be able to get these promotions applied on a consistent and regular basis.  Just keep applying slow and gentle pressure, work with the CRSs, and aim for the best.  Initially I had VZ apply various promotional "makeups" related to installation charges, so these issues do not surprise me.

However as far as I'm concerned, there is no ambiguity in "free for life" and I don't intend to lie down and die if I encounter a DVR rental charge somewhere along the way.  Yet it's worth noting that care is required at all times.  I suspect that any time one changes services, packages, contracts, etc., most if not all of the initial promotions will vanish.  Since promotions vary and change with the calendar, this can become an issue.

0 Likes
celticpride1
Contributor - Level 2

When they say free for life do they mean your life? or the life of the dvr like tivo?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes