Re: regional sports network fee
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some of these bundles are governed by contracts that require certain channels to be included in certain bundles.

Verizon tried to offer bundles without ESPN. ESPN sued and won.

So we need to content providers as well as the cable providers.

0 Likes
maplesugar

I have read all your responses about the regional sports network fee and just got off the phone with verizon. I asked as well about the fee, told them I don't watch sports, don't have any sports channels, NOR DO I HAVE ANY OF THEIR BOXES hooked into my tv. I was told the same as most of you, it's for the sports teams, colleges, etc. to broadcast. The fee I see on my bill $10.30, FOR WHAT?? 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

So you subscribe to a bundle that has no sports channels?

Unfortunately, you get hit with the fee if channels are in your package even if you don't watch.

If you do subscribe to a bundle that doesn't have sports channels, my understanding is that you shoiukdnt have to pay fee.

0 Likes
eprof19841
Enthusiast - Level 1

The problem is that the package I want so I can watch BBCA comes with the sports stations, thus I am required to pay a $12.57 Regional Sports Network Fee even though I never watch sports.

I find this very annoying.

0 Likes
eprof19841
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am very annoyed at the Regional Sports Network Fee of 12.57. I don't watch sports, but the package I signed up for so I could get BBCA has sports, and thus I have to pay a fee for something I do not watch.

I suspect the Regional Sports Network Fee 12.57 add-on is to keep the package I subscribe to at $99.

Sigh. 

0 Likes
Re: Regional Sports network fees?
eprof19841
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is a new fee, and because the package we signed up for includes sports channels, we have to pay the fee. Even if we don't want or watch sports channels. 

Verizon Fios changed its packaging of channels recently. Thus, the fee charged to the majority of people now.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon has been charging RSN fee for several years now on any package that includes sports.

RSN fees vary by location depending on the number of RSN channels and the fees Verizon has to pay for the channels.

And Verizon is not the only provider doing this.

I beleive most doit. Especially those that are in multiple regions.

It is a way to reflect the content cost more locally rather than trying to find some average and spread it across all users. Plus allows those who don't have sports channels in their packages to not have to pay for RSNs.

I know if doesn't feel fair to have to pay for channels you don't watch, but that can be said for a number of channels in different pacakages based on the customer.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

In most cases, if you signed up for a package with price guarantees, you did not initially pay for RSN and Broadcast channel fees.  Once however the end of that period was reached or you renewed or made certain other changes, they suddenly appear.

0 Likes
hotpprs8
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not understanding why this is a separate fee. Why isn't this just an embedded charge for whatever particular TV package you choose? 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

It varies by area. Verizon pays more for RSN in some areas than others.

So this way is a bit more fair.

0 Likes