youtube widget / channel failure to delete
needshelp411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im a parent who has a 10 year old son. Now when it comes to certain things as many of you can agree, children need to be monitored as to what they do. Weather it be online activity, phone activity etc. Youtube is one of these things that needs to be monitored. But youtube on verizon is not able to have any parental controls. Now it does offer restricted mode in the actual youtube settings on the widget itself. But i do not want my son having access to youtube when ever he wants. The restricted mode can be turned off at any given time with out a code or pin. All the child needs to do it go into settings and turn it off. Not exactly a safe way to block a function if you ask me. 

I do not want youtube at all on my tv. Im sorry but i dont want my son watching youtube videos on his tv in his room where i cannot be at all times to monitor what he is watching.  I walked into his room today and he was watching some video where they were using every curse word you can think of. Now trust me im on youtube every day on my phone. And we all know there are things that kids shouldnt watch on there. Which is why it should be able to be deleted if the customer wants to.  Why is there no option to delete youtube in the menu settings? 

I contacted verizon today and spent about 45 min on the phone with about 3 different reps asking to delete  youtube from my package. And the response was that they could not do it. Nor could they block access to it.  Im sorry but there are more inappropriate things found on youtube than there are on movies and tv shows if you know where to look. And for that reason I do not want my son using it, and i do not want it.  Please give the option to remove the widget completly.

Re: youtube widget / channel failure to delete
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is not a channel, its a widget app.  You can temporarily remove it, but I am not sure if you can stop you kids from adding it again.  I thought that within youtube there were parental controls.  Since I never used the Verizon version (I am now Frontier), I can't check that.

0 Likes
needshelp411
Enthusiast - Level 2

How would I remove it? He is accessing it through channel 941 and not through a widget.  Yes there are controls in YouTube to add parental control. But to remove it you just have to click a button.  When you add those parental controls through YouTube and watch a video that is clicked. It walks you through on how to disable it. Which takes two clicks of the remote. I just want to remove the channel completely. And I don't understand why I can't. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would guess 941 just jumps to the widget  and is not really a channel.  Bad news that they make it to easy to disable parental controls.  Does it at least allow you to use a 4 digit code? 

0 Likes
needshelp411
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately no, it does not allow you to lock it with a pin. It only allows you to put on restricted mode. Which as I mentioned before is easily removed. Call me an offer  protective parent, but it annoys me that I can't prevent my child from viewing things I don't find appropriate for his age. And I also don't want to be one of those hovering parents always popping in his room to see what he's watching. I'd like him to have a (false) sense of responsibility while still being monitored from a distance. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think these options work on the youtube channel on STB.

You don't have to sign in.

And yes, there is a restrict option, but you can just go to settings and disable it.

0 Likes
Kay112

I am agreed with everyone.  I want to remove youtube widget from Fios TV.

Can Verion help us?

0 Likes
mberliner1626
Enthusiast - Level 1

If they don't come up with a way to block or remove the youtube channel I will be switching providers this year. Everyday I have to tell my children to turn it off, switch the channel, I've taken the TV away from them for a week as punishment. I don't want to have this daily battle with my kids.  

needshelp411
Enthusiast - Level 2

I couldn't agree more, I've had this battle every night and day for months now. I'm almost at the point of switching providers also. This is ridiculous! If we pay for channels we should be able to block what we want. 

0 Likes