Re: 1.6 Updates!!!???? More issues than fixes!!
Sabre70
Enthusiast - Level 3
I agree.  I was really impressed the first few days when I had a 7216, but then it started fritzing out on me(pic freeze and pixilization,audio drop out and the digital out on rear worked when they felt like it).  Then was swapped to a 6416 and had a fuzzy pic rather than the nice clear one from the 7216 but as stated that one was unwatchable at the point they switched me out..  I really just want my SD pic and HDMI to work the way it supposed to. The minor guide and favorite issues I can deal with but the blurry pic quality has to go, sooner than later.  I had dishnetwork(still do in my office) and their biggist issue is compromised bandwidth for all the stations they cram into there network but as far as reliabilty of the equip, I have no complaints.  One receiver in 6+ years of use.  They have been at it longer though.  Hopefully Vz continues to hear us and roll out new upgrades, not that it makes paying for a blurry picture any easier to swallow but if they can fix it I'll be very happy. Its nice that Vz has this forum for us to vent and get advice from the employees. Thanks for the replies BTW.  OUT
0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

Commercials on TV still advertise FiOS as having *WOW* factor.

I wonder how many new customers they would get if they told the truth, it WOW's if you dont mind audio drops, pixelation, channels tuning as "unavailable" and video freeze to name a few, and thats with the STB (HDDVR) that fix's the bad picture problems. You know basicaly told the truth, i would imagine none!

What Vz should be worring about is keeping us customers they have, we are looking for alternatives you know.

Whats funny yet sad is that we pay for this.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Joe,

While I do sympathize with you, I just don't see it the same way you do. Most of the channels I watch are now available in HD, and for me the "WOW" factor is most definitely still there; the HD picture is almost always great, at least as good as it has been since I first got FiOS TV 3+ years ago. Sure, occasionally a channel will not look as good as it usually does, but that is not necessarily Verizon's fault, they may be receiving it that way. Now, MAV TV HD for example, never seems to be good, it looks like stretched SD all the time, but I don't think that is Verizon doing something, I think it is a source problem.

SD picture quality certainly is worse now on my HD DVR than it was , but it was never really very good anyway (it remains very good on my SD boxes), but since I now rarely watch any SD channels on my HD TV I am not particularly bothered - if I did, I would be, of course.

I have not seen a single "channel unavailable" since I got Extreme HD three weeks ago, the only pixelation I remember seeing lately was last Thursday night on NFLNetwork, lots of folks reported that so it was apparently system-wide, but other times when I watch NFLNetwork I don't see it, and yes, I do experience occasional audio drops, they can be a little annoying but again, not really a big thing to me.

If I was as unhappy as you sound, I most certainly would go to some other service, TV is just not worth the agony if you are really unhappy. I had Charter Cable before FiOS became available, was really dissatisfied, and I absolutely jumped at the chance to leave Charter. FiOS was, and I think still is, a far better choice than Charter, and frankly, one of my sons has Dish and I wouldn't give you 1/4 of 1/2 of $.01 for it. I have never tried DirecTV, and maybe there are better cable services than Charter, but for me, FiOS beats the others hands down.

Just my $.02 worth.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes
Whalermike

I have 1.6.0, and have had problems of "Currently Unavailable" as well as many picture freezes on my HD channels.

Is this something others are also having?

How do I fix them?

How do I get the new firmware?

I've only had FIOS TV for 2 1/2 weeks, but am pretty disappointed so far.

-Mike

0 Likes
juice421
Contributor - Level 2

oh yes, i have the same "CURRENTLY AVAILABLE" message as well.  It's a known issue with the 7216 boxes we have.  You have serveral options here:

1.  Call Verizon and ask them to reset your box. This will usually fix the issue for a couple days.  When it comes back just reset your box manually by unplugging the power cord AND the HDMI cord from the TV and the box for a few minutes.   This again fixes the issue for a couple days.  I just have a routine now where every few days i just reset it myself no matter what. 

2.  OR, you can call Verizon and ask for the older 6416 boxes.  They do not have this issue.   BUT, they do have a current issue with the SD picture quality.  A fix for the Sd PQ is currently being tested, but who knows when for sure that will be.  

Good luck.

0 Likes
Joe01880
Contributor - Level 1

I can understand what you are saying Justin but for me i do watch some SD channels, this may change with the addition of Spike TV which i understand is coming. My wife also watches SD channels and could care less about HD, either way, we are paying for the SD channels as we are paying for the HD channels. We might agree that if the HD channels looked as bad as the SD channels did from 1.5 to 1.6 you may not be happy at all. Plus all my channel would turn green after 1.6 was deployed. Turning the box off and back on would fix it but should you, me or anyone else have to do that?

The problems Verizon is having with these firmware updates should be worked out in development before they are passed to paying customers. Would anyone want a car that only runs some times, a stereo system that flickers on and off?  As for me Verizons Chronic Resolution Center decided that the 7216-1 would fix my PQ problems. As learned form other forums i asked if the audio issues and channel unavailable issues had been resolved.I I was promised they had been. So what do i have now? Absolutely stunning HD PQ and the best SD PQ I have had since i got my HD monitor. The trade off is audio that drops any time a channel is changed or a DVR function is used on recorded or live TV. I get “Currently Unavailable” at random when i tune to channels i know im subscribed to. Sometimes changing the channel fixes it sometime i have to unplug the box and let it reboot. That makes trying to watch a show pointless and Verizon’s FiOS TV service useless, yet they send me a bill every month. Was i lied to about the 7216 they sent me to be problem free, lie is a harsh word but what does it look like given what you have read here and other boards? Then techs here and other places tell us they have a fix coming, they don’t know when but they say it might fix these problems I and others are having and some i have not wrote about here.. MIGHT...say what? For $1560.00 a  year i don’t want to hear MIGHT FIX nor do i want any problems what so ever. For that kind of money for little flashes of light everything should be top notch, that’s what they tell you in their commercials isn’t it? I'll get down off my soap box now..sorry for the rant. Joe   

Note to Verizon CSR's and techs on this site, i have folks at Verizon looking in to these problems currently and do not wish to throw a wrench in the works by having others here looking in to them as well. So if you were thinking of offering your help i graciously ask you not to at this time..thank you..Joe

Message Edited by Joe01880 on 11-12-2008 06:42 PM
Message Edited by Joe01880 on 11-12-2008 06:43 PM
0 Likes