1.6 Wiped DVR?
mrman5917
Enthusiast - Level 2

On 10/23 I was presented with a message that stated that there had been some service enhancements. I went to check the message to see what was new, but the message simply stated that it was unavailable. So I ignored it and continued on with what I was watching. Later that night I noticed that I was having some issues using the skip forward feature where the video would appear to skip, the scrub ine wouldn't show up, and after skipping some distance it would go back to where I had started. Fair enough, this has happened before on our second DVR and was fixed easily by unplugging and restarting the box. Before I went to bed on 10/23 I unplugged our primary DVR after all the shows has finished recording.

This morning, 10/24, I woke up to watch some of the shows that were recorded the night before and I was greeted by a blank DVR. No shows were in the recorded list, available space was 100%, even my schedule is blank and there are no programs in the series manager. 

While I doubt that there is any way to retrieve this information, it is very upsetting to say the least. A software update should never wipe a feature after the next reboot. I'm at a loss and don't want to go back through and set everything up and have the next power outage take everything out again. 

0 Likes
Re: 1.6 Wiped DVR?
Techman28
Master - Level 1
ok now this is a first on this upgrade that I have heard of or even if you had a power outtage that it would erase the HD of the DVR please call in and get that record on your account I have posted it to developers as an issue that needs to be looked at.
0 Likes
mrman5917
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks. I will call in once I get home from work. The part that made me think the software update botched something was that the message stating an update had happened wasn't available. Then with the skip forward not working I knew something must be up. I went to our other DVR to see if it had the same problem, but it survived an unplugging and plugging back in with no loss of data. It was the strangest thing that I have ever seen. 
0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
interesting....When you get home be sure to get your Trouble Ticket and PM it to me please
0 Likes
mrman5917
Enthusiast - Level 2
So this evening I called Verizon tech support to report the problem on my DVR. I explained that I didn't expect to get my recordings or my DVR settings back, that I would like some troubleshooting to be done and that I would like to have the ticket number as you requested. After asking me a dozen times if I had rebooted the box by unplugging the power, he finally asked me to look at my ActionTec router's lights. For work purposes I use ethernet from my ONT to my VPN router and have the ActionTec on a DMZ for guide and VOD access.

This revelation had the stubborn CSR relentlessly stating that I had to dismantle my network and place the ActionTec as the first router in the network, which is a process that would neither bring back my recordings/settings (which he continued to state is what I was calling for, despite my insisting I just wanted to make the issue known), nor would allow me to use the service I am paying for, and that has been working flawlessly for months, as I need to for work purposes.

After the first assertion that I needed to dismantle my network, I asked politely for for my ticket number. At this point, he completely ignored my request and began by stating my router setup was the problem and no further support could be given for an unsupported router setup, again despite the fact that their technician helped me set it up when TV was installed and that everything has been fine since it was installed. After asking a few more times for my ticket and even more stonewalling by the CSR, he finally decided to attempt a transfer to a "supervisor" who he stated was the only person who could give me that information.

As I was waiting on hold he came back a few times, each time asserting that my router setup was the cause for the DVR to be erased, and insisting that they won't provide me support, again, not what I was asking for and after a few more times arguing with him that a router setup problem would have affected both of our DVRs and not just one, I would be put back on hold only to have the process start again after just a few minutes on hold.

So all told, I spent over an hour and a half on the phone, accused of being outside of support, and generally talked down to and treated in an abhorrent fashion. Needless to say that if I needed actual support for a problem that was more serious than a few lost recordings, I would likely not be a Verizon customer tomorrow. So at this point I have no recordings, an hour and a half less time to spend with my family, and a really bad experience with Verizon tech support/customer service.

Techman28, I have PMd you my trouble ticket, though I have no way of actually knowing if what the guy gave me will mean anything to you. If you need any other information from me for the engineers/tech support, I would be happy to provide it.
Techman28
Master - Level 1
I will make sure your taken care of on Monday Morning
0 Likes