1080p HDTV only receiving 720p signal thru HDTV DVR
leroi2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just installed a second HDTV DVR via a 1,000 Mhz 2-way splitter.  Everything works fine except the new VIZIO 1080p HDTV is only receiving a 720p signal from the HDTV DVR.  The VIZIO TV auto senses the incoming signal so there is no setting on the TV I can change.  My other HDTV is still receiving a 1080p signal.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 1080p HDTV only receiving 720p signal thru HDTV DVR
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try verifying the 1080 setting in the dvr, by clicking menu>settings>video settings and then selecting video format.   make sure 1080 i has a checkmark.

If that doesn't work then try the advanced menu setting and select native mode, which means your tv will control the video settings.

So to do that, you have to have the tv and the cable box turned on.   It's a two hand operation.   you want to power the cable box OFF with your hand (don't use the remote) and then with your other hand you will use the remote and hit ok and then menu.

These are all pressed one after the other, and try do do about a half second to a second between button presses.

So Power off on the face of the cable box with one hand, wait half second to a second, press ok, and then wait about a half second and press menu.

that should get you into the Advanced menu options where you can select NATIVE from the menu system.   

once selected you can hit power to get out of that menu. 

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

try verifying the 1080 setting in the dvr, by clicking menu>settings>video settings and then selecting video format.   make sure 1080 i has a checkmark.

If that doesn't work then try the advanced menu setting and select native mode, which means your tv will control the video settings.

So to do that, you have to have the tv and the cable box turned on.   It's a two hand operation.   you want to power the cable box OFF with your hand (don't use the remote) and then with your other hand you will use the remote and hit ok and then menu.

These are all pressed one after the other, and try do do about a half second to a second between button presses.

So Power off on the face of the cable box with one hand, wait half second to a second, press ok, and then wait about a half second and press menu.

that should get you into the Advanced menu options where you can select NATIVE from the menu system.   

once selected you can hit power to get out of that menu. 

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@leroi wrote:

My other HDTV is still receiving a 1080p signal.

Not possible since the highest resolution currently output by the STB is 1080i (there is no 1080p content on the FiOS network at this time).

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I took that to mean the TV was upconverting the signal, but that is correct, FiOS broadcasts what the broadcasters output and they output 720p for some stations and 1080i for others

Here is information collected from the AV forums about what broadcasters do what. 

the biggest broadcaster blocs that use 720p include ABC/Disney/ESPN, Fox, and the A&E family, while 1080i is used by NBC/Universal, CBS, Time Warner, and Discovery.

720p: ABC, Fox, ESPN Networks (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, ESPN 3D), A&E Networks (A&E, History, History International, Crime & Investigation, Biography), Fox Sports Net, Fox News, Fox Business, FX, CBS College Sports, MLB Network, Disney Channels (Disney, DXD, Disney Kids, ABC Family), Speed Channel, Fuel, Big Ten Network, SportsSouth, Sunshine Sports Network, SportsTime Ohio

1080i: NBC, CBS, CW, Univision, CNN, HDNet, NFL Network, NBA TV, Discovery Networks (Discovery, TLC, Travel Channel, Animal Planet, Science Channel, Planet Green, HD Theater), National Geographic, HGTV, Food Network, Weather Channel, HBO, Showtime, TNT, USA, TBS, MTV Networks (MTV, MTV2, VH1), Nickelodeon Networks, CNBC, Tennis Channel, Versus, NHL Network, Golf Channel, Spike TV, SyFy, Comcast Sportsnet, Comedy Central, G4, BBC America, Bravo, Turner Classic Movies, Lifetime, WGN America, Hallmark, CMT, BET, NESN, MSG, SNY, Altitude, YES Network, Mountain West Sports Network
0 Likes
leroi2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks so much.  That did the trick.  I thought I had scrolled through all the menu settings options before but somehow missed the one I needed.  Thanks again.