2 dvrs or single multi room dvr???
rocksoldier

i currently have one DVR set up for multi room $19.99 and one standardt STB $4.99.    My wife tapes tons of standard programs and watches them all in the bedroom on the STB (non HD TV there).   This of course limits what i can watch on the good HD DVR in the family room on the HDTV.    I'm thinking of upgrading the HD DVR to the new 500gb (black one) to take advantage of the new IMG and getting a second DVR for my wife in the bedroom, unless there is something i'm not doing right or something in the new IMG to enable the multi room DVR to allow me to watch programs on the HD DVR while two others are recording?   if I do the 2 DVR set up (one standard and one HD)  whats this cost?    

0 Likes
Re: 2 dvrs or single multi room dvr???
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon doesn't distribute SD boxes any more ... just HD DVR, HD STB, and a digital adapter (which is SD but doesn't have the guide or the ability to do on demand or multiroom DVR).   You can use an HD box with an SD TV.

Anyhow to your question ... it's one of preference.   The 7232 500GB DVR can be run in multiroom DVR allowing you to watch one channel and record another while someone else is watching a DVR program, or record two channels and watch one on the local TV (and I believe also one on a remote STB).  

Difference with two DVR's is the ability to record 4 shows simultaneously (and still be watching two from the DVR's) vs the single setup which is record 2 shows and watch one on each TV.

So, for two DVR's, I believe it's 14.99 each.

For one DVR multi-room and your current SD box $19.99 and $4.99

For one DVR multi-room and an SD box $19.99 and $9.99 (although at one point verizon had a DVR bundle which dropped the latter to $7.99).

Another option ... and this is what I'm doing in my house with 4 STB's is 2 DVR's and 2 HD STB's with multi-hub enabled (multi-hub is basically multiroom with the new 1.9a IMG which makes all DVR's accessible from any box).  Cost $19.99 for the first DVR, two HD STB's roughly $6 each (DVR bundled discount), and a regular DVR at $14.99.   In your scenario with two DVR's -- $19.99 and $14.99 and you have the best of both worlds.

Recommendation -- one HD DVR multiroom and one HD STB bundled unless you need more the two tuners. 

0 Likes
rocksoldier

thanks so much for responding.  I think i'll keep what we have then with one multi DVR and one regular STB.  I cant pay another $10 a month just to have 2 additional tuners.  so the new 1.9 IMG feature in regards to this only applies if you have two DVRS then?  

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

1.9 adds "multihub" which allows DVR's to see one another -- a feature which is not present in 1.8.

0 Likes