3 STB but show 6 in Router
bhuber21121

I currently have three (3) STB in my house.  However, when I look at my router I see a total of six (6) STBs w/ IP addresses that ping and different MAC addresses.  Is this normal or is there some configuration issue that I should be aware of and have corrected by Verizon.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: 3 STB but show 6 in Router
tns
Master - Level 2

IF you are reading this correctly than it is more than a configuration problem. 

Are you sure these aren't other devices in your network (check the mac addresses)?  But if they really are other STB something is wrong and perhaps your network is not properly isolated from some neighbors.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@bhuber2112 wrote:

I currently have three (3) STB in my house.  However, when I look at my router I see a total of six (6) STBs w/ IP addresses that ping and different MAC addresses.  Is this normal or is there some configuration issue that I should be aware of and have corrected by Verizon.  Thank you.

You don't identify which brand of STBs you have. If they are Cisco then my understanding is that each STB uses two IP addresses. If they are Motorola, the only thing I can think of is if you recently replaced all of your STBs the old ones may still be showing up, eventually they should disappear.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
EphFIOS

I recently got fios and was just looking in my network and saw the same thing that now makes sense after reading your post-we have 4 boxes and 8 stb ip leases over coax showing. I was thinking the install was wrong or the router had some left over from the last install (but then they pinged which seemed weird). Complicating this was we also have 2 cable cards (I thought 6 total ips might be there although didn't know if a cablecard would show up like that) but it looks like from this post this is normal for each cisco box to have 2 ips.

For a second I thought maybe a neighbor . . . but then I would be really surprised if somehow one of my neighbors managed to get a coax connection to my network (especially as it's the fiber cable that comes into the house and our ONT is in the basement)!

0 Likes
doubleE
Enthusiast - Level 3

Each cable box has two I.P. addresses. One for the box itself, and one for the cable card, which you can see bolted into the back.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@doubleE wrote:

Each cable box has two I.P. addresses. One for the box itself, and one for the cable card, which you can see bolted into the back.

For others who might read the above post, just keep in mind that this statement applies only to the Cisco STBs, not the Motorola STBs, they use only one IP address per box.

Keller, TX 76248 one IP address per box.