Switch Account

480i out of my 6416 STB?

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

480i out of my 6416 STB?

Message 1 of 2
(3,286 Views)

I'm trying to figure out my options for getting my Toshiba HDD DVDr with S-video input to record full screen HD (at SD resolutions I know).

My options are:

1. add a component to S-video converter (needs 480i input, about $139)

2. add a component to S-video converter (accepts anything, about $230)

3. abandon the Toshiba and buy a DVDr from eBay that has component inputs (maybe $50)

4. live with the black bars all around

Question:

Can I even set the 6416 to give me 480i out of the component outs?  The more I think about that, the more I don't think I really want to.  My TV uses HDMI from the STB.  I'd want to keep that at 1081i.

Any help would be appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Re: 480i out of my 6416 STB?

Message 2 of 2
(3,270 Views)

This actually isn't difficult. At least on my 6416, the S-Video output jack is active even in HD channels, in fact I have a JVC S-VHS VCR connected that way.

Just run an S-VHS cable from the back of the 6416 to the S-Video input on the DVR. S-video isn't 480i, and it isn't component, but S-Video is capable of about 400 line resolution. By contrast, SD over the air is limited to about 330 lines. So while S-Video isn't quite as good as 480i, it is very close, and a lot better than composite video.

At any rate, I can watch HD channels as SD full screen by routing the s-video signal through the VCR and into the S-Video input on my TV. I can also record them as SD on the S-VHS VCR, so there is no reason to think you cannot do the same thing with a DVD recorder.

So you should be able to record HD TV to your DVD recorder via the S-Video output on the 6416 while watching HD TV.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.