4k Streaming on Netflix
Vinnyscud

I have an older router. I have a Samsung 4k TV. I stream Netflix from the app on the TV not from the Verizon Guide. I pay for 4k programming on Netflix. The programming in 4k does not seem to be playing in 4k. Do I need to upgrade to the newer router? I hope not. Not looking for my bill to go up.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4k Streaming on Netflix
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

HDR is NOT related to resolution, it is High Dynamic Range, simplified it refers to the range of the brightest area in the image, vs the darkest part of the image. Also refers to the limits of the color space the image is made of. You could have 1080 HDR, but no one uses it. 4K for TV is 2160, vs 1080i or 720p for standard HD. If Netflix tries to tell you 1080 is 4K, they are incorrect.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You shouldn’t have to upgrade your router. You only need 25 mbps to stream 4k. Is your TV wired or wireless? The main thing would be to make sure your TV is getting good speed. 

Vinnyscud

Connected wireless

0 Likes
Vinnyscud

Also I have 75/75 Internet speed. How can I do a speed test on the TV?

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your TV have a web browser app? If so Google Fios speed test, run it and look at the result. You are ALWAYS better off hardwiring if possible, that will give you maximum speed. Also check the Netflix app on the TV to make sure it is the latest version.

Vinnyscud

Did the speed test. Getting 68/61. Still getting 1080 resolution when playing  Ultra HD - 4K content on the Netflix app.  HDR gives me a number in the 2000's resolution. Don't remember the actual. You think I should I call Netfix?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Vinnyscud wrote:

Did the speed test. Getting 68/61. Still getting 1080 resolution when playing  Ultra HD - 4K content on the Netflix app.  HDR gives me a number in the 2000's resolution. Don't remember the actual. You think I should I call Netfix?

If it is 2160 then that is 4K. Saying 4K is more of a marketing thing. The actual resolution for 4K is 3480 x 2160. The resolution for 1080 is 1920 x 1080. Netflix won't help any. They will just blame Verizon. 

Vinnyscud

I get 2160 when viewing what Netflix is saying is HDR, 1080 when viewing what netflix is saying Ultra HD - 4-k. Probably bogus on their end. I am paying for Ultra HD. I am going to call them. If I don't get the right answer, I'll just downgrade to HD and save a couple of bucks a month.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

HDR is NOT related to resolution, it is High Dynamic Range, simplified it refers to the range of the brightest area in the image, vs the darkest part of the image. Also refers to the limits of the color space the image is made of. You could have 1080 HDR, but no one uses it. 4K for TV is 2160, vs 1080i or 720p for standard HD. If Netflix tries to tell you 1080 is 4K, they are incorrect.