Re: 500GB Motorola QIP7232 HD DVR Coming soon!
paulgs31
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kind of an old topic, but according to the techs that have been to my house, the new boxes are Cisco. They are 500g but that is about where the good stuff ends. They are a POS. Remote DVR does NOT work, widgets are crippled and you cannot add or remove (I'm not buying them), can't record shows that are already started, esata doesn't work, and it incredibly fickle about media manager. Not to mention, nobody at verizon knows how to use these things. I witnessed a conference call between my technician, his foreman and something called a Cisco "bridge" and these guys are **bleep**. They were pretty much implying I'm nuts telling that this stuff doesn't work, the tech and the foreman had NO idea what I Was talking about only, to hear the Cisco reps say "yeah, thats bugged.... yeah thats bugged.... yeah thats bugged too....." .  So don't be in a hurry. There is nothing special about these boxes. Right now I'm stuck with these gimped **bleep** crippled DVR boxes when I Would happily trade for the smaller older working model.

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry to hear your experience.  You should know that in certain markets Motorola manufactures the 7232.  In fact, that's the one I have.  Further, remote dvr and the widgets all work fine.  The eSATA port will function with the update to firmware 1.9.

As to tech support, well, I've had my own challenges with them.  That said, in my area, in general, the techs that  come out are pretty good.

Bottom line is that my experience is nothing like yours.  I love my 7232 and in no way could I be described as a Vz fanboy.

0 Likes
RacerD
Enthusiast - Level 2

My MIL just moved in down the street and they installed today and she got the new 7232. She doesn't care about it though and said we could swap.   Will I be able to swap DVR's with her?  Wondering if the other STB will work or were those upgraded too? 

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

You and she need to notify Vz.  Then you'll have to activate the 7232 at your place.  As I've never done it, I'm not sure what the process is.

0 Likes
mgp771

Just had 3 7232's installed and mine are all Motorola. They seem to work fine...

0 Likes
RacerD
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  Her STB are very different than mine too.  I wonder if I can keep my STB or have to swap that with her too?  I'm also curious about just ordering an extra DVR for a month or two and then sending one back...wonder which one I would get since they are rolling out the news ones here.   I'm so ready to be done with this low space issue.....

0 Likes
Sabres1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just had my installation in Central New York and received the Motorola 7232.  Seems to work pretty well and has plenty of space.  Had to reset it to get surround sound but that is working now.  I was also given two HD boxes for my two other tv's for no extra cost because they said they are fazing out the SD boxes in New York.  So now I can watch all my HD recordings on my two other tv's which is nice.

I feel badly for all of the existing customers that are still waiting for their new boxes.  I'm amazed at how all (not just Verizon) treat their existing customers.  I've become a bit of a cable nomad for that reason, switching every year or two to get the best deals and equipment.  I'd love to stay with Verizon but we'll see if they are willing to update equipment after the end of my two years.  Existing customers really should have had first crack at these new boxes, not me.

0 Likes
justputt

just chatted with a rep.  told me i could exchange smaller dvr for 7232 at local VZ store (if they have them).  Question; is it merely a swap or will i have to go thru all kind of calls to get the 7232 setup and working?

0 Likes
alden
Contributor - Level 1

No, it does not have any bugs - mine DVR at least. Have ir for more then 8 weeks  - so far so good. No malfunction whatsoever works good , big storage. It maybe still limited to new customers only - I don't know.

0 Likes
bluejez

re: mail delivery of a 7232, no luck.

I have a 7216, tech shipped me a replacement that turned out to be a downgrade - 6416.  To her credit, she said the warehouse doesn't know the SKUs, they just pick up the next HD DVR off the shelf and drop ship it.

0 Likes