6416 dvr no rf out
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a 6416 DVR which records tv, but sometimes I would like to be able to use my DVD player to record and keep a program on dvd,  I do not want to fill up my dvr with saved recordings.

The problem is my DVR only has an RF in jack and no RF out jack.  the only output jacks on my DVR go to an input port on my TV and my DVD player goes directly to a separate input on my TV.  Consequently the DVD player and STB are not linked and I am not able to record TV with my DVD player.   How should this be wired?  the diagrams online at verizon show an RF out which isn't there.

and the help line wasn't of much help.     Would a signal splitter cable on the DVR work on Fios?   I have seen signal splitter cables on line, would that work for fios?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 6416 dvr no rf out
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2
this does work, but not the same clear picture.  At least I can wire it this way temporarily and copy my saved dvr programs, a bit downgraded.  DVD player doesn't have HD output. It does have the svideo out.

@CRobGauth wrote:

@Blain wrote:

I have a 6416 DVR which records tv, but sometimes I would like to be able to use my DVD player to record and keep a program on dvd,  I do not want to fill up my dvr with saved recordings.

The problem is my DVR only has an RF in jack and no RF out jack.  the only output jacks on my DVR go to an input port on my TV and my DVD player goes directly to a separate input on my TV.  Consequently the DVD player and STB are not linked and I am not able to record TV with my DVD player.   How should this be wired?  the diagrams online at verizon show an RF out which isn't there.

and the help line wasn't of much help.     Would a signal splitter cable on the DVR work on Fios?   I have seen signal splitter cables on line, would that work for fios?

Why not wire STB to DVD player and then DVD player to TV. Would require DVD player to be left on any time you want to watch TV, but otherwise should work fine.
I assume that DVD player has either component or s-video  input.
Message Edited by CRobGauth on 01-23-2009 10:42 AM
Message Edited by CRobGauth on 01-23-2009 10:43 AM

Message Edited by Blain on 01-24-2009 08:56 AM

View solution in original post

0 Likes
matcarl
Master - Level 1
I use the composite outs on the DVR to go to my VCR, maybe you can try something like that.
0 Likes
TheSanchez
Contributor - Level 2
That is correct the 6xxx series of boxes do not have an RF out.  The only boxes we provide that have an RF out are the 7xxx series, the QIP2500 and the DCT700
0 Likes
izub
Enthusiast - Level 3
Signal splitter will not work unless you have a qam tuner in the dvd player or you use another box...I use a small converter from fios which gives me everything but premium channels, and that works well for extra recordings in sd...
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Blain wrote:

Why not wire STB to DVD player and then DVD player to TV. Would require DVD player to be left on any time you want to watch TV, but otherwise should work fine.

0 Likes
DMZ

The design of the 6416 box with no RF Out assumes all of us have the most up to date HD TV's and surround sound audio systems.  I went through hell when my FiOS TV was installed a year and a half ago as my older HDTV has a DVI input instead of HDMI and my stereo system is standard 2 channel.  2 follow-up visits to my home by Verizon install techs left them completely stumped.  The Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes from Time Warner and Cablevision come with multiple sets of RCA out jacks and and RF Out where I used to take the audio out from my VCR/DVD combo box and hook it up to the TV. 

I spent over an hour on the phone with one of the chief engineers for this box at Motorola and he agreed there should have been an RF out.  In fact, he thought it already existed on the 6416's main circuit board and they just tried to save $$$ by not drilling the extra hole and installing the jack itself.  This is how/why the new 7XXX DVR box has an RF Out jack.  You're welcome folks!

This Distribution Amplifier or an equivalent is the ONLY answer:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103065

I found something like it on ebaY for about half that price.  Problem solved.

I wound up supplying all this info to FiOS tech support on how to tell customers how to correct this dilemma.  Seems like they've forgot all about it.

Have a nice day everyone!

Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks, this worked but because of my options on my model DVD player/recorder it's not quite as good a picture (had to use svideo) , but at least I can wire it temporarily and record my saved DVR programs
0 Likes
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2
Would there be a higher monthly charge to get an upgrade?
0 Likes
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2
this does work, but not the same clear picture.  At least I can wire it this way temporarily and copy my saved dvr programs, a bit downgraded.  DVD player doesn't have HD output. It does have the svideo out.

@CRobGauth wrote:

@Blain wrote:

0 Likes
Blain
Enthusiast - Level 2

@DMZ wrote:

The design of the 6416 box with no RF Out assumes all of us have the most up to date HD TV's and surround sound audio systems.  I went through hell when my FiOS TV was installed a year and a half ago as my older HDTV has a DVI input instead of HDMI and my stereo system is standard 2 channel.  2 follow-up visits to my home by Verizon install techs left them completely stumped.  The Scientific Atlanta DVR boxes from Time Warner and Cablevision come with multiple sets of RCA out jacks and and RF Out where I used to take the audio out from my VCR/DVD combo box and hook it up to the TV. 

I spent over an hour on the phone with one of the chief engineers for this box at Motorola and he agreed there should have been an RF out.  In fact, he thought it already existed on the 6416's main circuit board and they just tried to save $$$ by not drilling the extra hole and installing the jack itself.  This is how/why the new 7XXX DVR box has an RF Out jack.  You're welcome folks!

This Distribution Amplifier or an equivalent is the ONLY answer:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103065

I found something like it on ebaY for about half that price.  Problem solved.

I wound up supplying all this info to FiOS tech support on how to tell customers how to correct this dilemma.  Seems like they've forgot all about it.

Have a nice day everyone!

Smiley Very Happy

This is a great answer, thanks for sharing your research.  I haven't invested in the box, since I was able to wire in and out though my DVD player, though a bit downgraded picture (DVD player output has svideo ), at least I can record saved programs to clear out my DVR.   For best HD picture I have to rewire it the original way.
0 Likes