6416 or 7216 for New Install - HDMI Handshake
EricScott
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I am getting Fios installed on Friday and wanted to know whether I should request 6416 or 7216 DVRs (I'm having two of them, one MR DVR).   I am most concerned about the HDMI handshake.  I had a custom audio/video installation done and they ran a long (HQ) HDMI cable through the wall.  One end of the cable will connect to my new Samsung PN58B860 plasma and the other end will connect to my Denon 1909 AVR.  I then plan on connecting the STB to the Denon.  I've read about all sorts of handshake issues and am a little worried that I may have one.  Running a component cable is going to be difficult and expensive so I want to try to avoid doing that if at all possible.  And I will not have either the Denon or the TV there when they do the install so there won't be any way to check it out until I move in a few weeks and get the TV, Denon, etc all hooked up.

So all else being equal is one box better than the other from a handshaking perspective?  Are there any other benefits of the 7216 vs. the 6416 or vice versa.

Same goes for a 7100 vs. a 6400 (although that is less of an issue b/c cables won't be going through the wall, etc.

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
Re: 6416 or 7216 for New Install - HDMI Handshake
sgip2000

I had 2 7216 DVR's for a couple of months before upgrading to Tivo and did not see any HDMI problems when connected to my Pioneer receiver or my Sharp LC46D65U.

Does your receiver to video conversion?  If it does, you can connect your DVR to the receiver with component and the receiver will convert it to HDMI, if necessary.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I have heard the handshake issue isn't as prevelant on the 6416, but from what I know the two boxes should be nearly identical. 

The 6416 is an older model that will work just fine, but doesn't have upgraded firmware and hardware to handle future things.  

The only primary difference right now is that it supports 7.1 dolby digital and does mpeg 4

VZ_JoeD
Contributor - Level 1
I suggest you take the 7216.  Our newest IMG patch/upgrade is "tentatively"scheduled for September of this year.  There has been wonderful feedback on the beta testers.  Welcome aboard and enjoy.
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@FIOSTechJoe wrote:
I suggest you take the 7216.  Our newest IMG patch/upgrade is "tentatively"scheduled for September of this year.  There has been wonderful feedback on the beta testers.  Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Acrually, he will probably have to take whatever is on the installer's truck Smiley Wink .

0 Likes
EricScott
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the feedback.  I got a confirmation email re: the install this morning and it actually listed teh 6416 adn the 6200 on my order.  But I called the Fiber Solutions department and had them put a note in my account requesting 7216's and 7100's.  All else being equal I would rather have the latest and greatest so that's probably the best route.

I did a search and it seems that a while back lots of people were having HDMI handshake issues.  Hard to tell if most of those had been resolved and if the 7216's are any better or worse than the 6416's.

Guess I'll have to wait and see.

My Denon does convert component to HDMI so that is always an option I guess but I really want to go HDMI to HDMI since the Denon doesn't touch the digital signal and I'd prefer to keep it all digital.

Thanks for the responses.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

The Samsung/Motorola handshake issue affects both the 7xxx and 6xxx boxes. Its a Motorola/Samsung communication error and both the 7xxx and 6xxx boxes use the same firmware.

Having said that, I was reading somewhere ( If I can find the article again I'll post a link) that said that the Motorola / Samsung HDMI issue was tracked down to the Samsung models made in the 2007 and 2008 model years. Pre-2007 and post 2008 are supposed to be clear of this issue. So if you have a "New" Samsung, it should work with the HDMI now.

Now there are other HDMI issues that are not Samsung specific. These are not the "handshake" but other issues. These affect random tv's of all manufactures and seem to be more prevalent on the 7xxx series boxes but most of these issues are supposed to be addressed with the next firmware upgrade

EricScott
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  That's helpful.  Well the good news is my Samsung plasma is brand new (2009 model).  I also have two other Samsungs, a DLP from 2005 and an LCD from 2006...so it sounds like I should be OK (hopefully).

Sounds like going w/ the 7216 and waiting for the firmware update in a few months or so is my best bet.

0 Likes
swanscn
Enthusiast - Level 2

The HDMI handshake issue is not just limited to Samsung, I have a Pio Elite with the handshake issue not some other issue.

0 Likes
ruytio

I can confirm that the HDMI handshake issue doesn't only affect Samsung TV's.  I have a sharp Aquos TV bought in 2005 which when I connected via HDMI cables with my HD STD  6416 and got a blank screen.  They say they will have a firmware solution to this by the end of September....hopefully that will fix this problem.

0 Likes