Actiontec router config changed remotely with service change....
adk

I know the open port on the actiontec router has been discussed in the past, but I am confident it was recently used by Verizon to make config modification to my router when a change was put in place to my service....

I've been using FIOS Internet service for close to 5 years now.  My router has the wireless disabled and internal DHCP turned off.  (I have another access point I use and a Windows 2003 server that handles DHCP.)  It's been running this way for years and the config has stayed through many a router reboot.

Last Friday I had  my service upgraded to 35/35 along with some phone and TV service changes.  About half way through the day my wife calls me at work.....the home network is acting weird.  I went home and noticed that the actiontec SSID is broadcasting so I log into it from a wired PC and the wireless is ON and so is DHCP!

Sure....could have been some odd coincidence that the actiontec decided to adjust it's configuration on the same day I had a service change, but I don't believe that.  It really does look like Verizon can and does connect to their backdoor and can and will change the configuration of your router as they see fit.

I called and asked about this and got a non-answer.  The rep at Verizon didn't confirm or deny....which I believe....they might just not know.

-adk

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec router config changed remotely with service change....
DallasTX
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the heads up.  I've had FIOS since it came to Irving.  I rarely check my Actiontec router, but I decided to check it after reading your post.  I do use the router DHCP, but I do have the wireless radio turned off.

I found everything as it should be, but then again, I haven't requested any changes.  I will definitely watch it when I do request changes.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@adk wrote:
....   It really does look like Verizon can and does connect to their backdoor and can and will change the configuration of your router as they see fit.

Verizon certainly has the ability to access your router remotely.  They do firmware updates on a regular basis which normally are transparent to the end user UNLESS they have a special configuration (meaning non-standard for Verizon).  The "normal" reboot would remember your wireless and DHCP settings, but apparently something in your order (35/35 ?) reuired an update that caused a rest to those settings.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Many times when the router updates its firmware it will "reset". This will clear out custom settings, and restore the router to factory. (Verizon settings). With an upgrade to the 35/35 you likely needed a firmware upgrade and that cleared out your personalized settings

0 Likes