Activating Verizon Set Top Boxes without a Verizon Router
newbcakes

Upon my request, Verizon sold me television service to go along with my internet service.  I do not have a Verizon router, I use my own equipment.

They didn't tell me their Set Top Boxes (STB) would not activate without a Verizon router.  Is anyone able to answer whether they can activate the STB's at their store and then I can install them in the house and see them function?  Or, can I activate them at a neighbor's house on Verizon equipment, then bring the gear home to install?

I know the guide, VOD, and some other services will not work without further mods.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Activating Verizon Set Top Boxes without a Verizon Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The same mods for guide, etc, are also needed for activation. There is a post at the top of the forum that talks about the mods required to use a non Verizon router with FiOS stb.

0 Likes
dlim98

I'm wondering about the same thing. I have my own router, but want to activate a quantum stb.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don’t think you can activate them somewhere else. Has to be on your service. I would say maybe go online and order a Actiontec rev i or G1100 FiOS Quantum router just to activate your STB. 

I use my own router too and I have a VMS DVR and whenever there are updates I put in the Verizon router for a few days. Then once updated I put my own router back in place.  

0 Likes