Switch Account

Activating Verizon Set Top Boxes without a Verizon Router

Activating Verizon Set Top Boxes without a Verizon Router

Contributor newbcakes
Contributor
Message 1 of 4
(1,152 Views)

Upon my request, Verizon sold me television service to go along with my internet service.  I do not have a Verizon router, I use my own equipment.

They didn't tell me their Set Top Boxes (STB) would not activate without a Verizon router.  Is anyone able to answer whether they can activate the STB's at their store and then I can install them in the house and see them function?  Or, can I activate them at a neighbor's house on Verizon equipment, then bring the gear home to install?

I know the guide, VOD, and some other services will not work without further mods.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
MVP CRobGauth MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 4
(1,116 Views)

The same mods for guide, etc, are also needed for activation. There is a post at the top of the forum that talks about the mods required to use a non Verizon router with FiOS stb.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Contributor dlim98
Contributor
Message 3 of 4
(872 Views)

I'm wondering about the same thing. I have my own router, but want to activate a quantum stb.

Gold Contributor V Gold Contributor V
Gold Contributor V
Message 4 of 4
(856 Views)

I don’t think you can activate them somewhere else. Has to be on your service. I would say maybe go online and order a Actiontec rev i or G1100 FiOS Quantum router just to activate your STB. 

I use my own router too and I have a VMS DVR and whenever there are updates I put in the Verizon router for a few days. Then once updated I put my own router back in place.  

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.