Added tuners, now coax signal is too weak
voyager6868

When FIOS was installed for me, I had a 2-way splitter installed as I had a Westell modem and HD box as equipment. Since then, I have added 2 HDHomerun devices to record local clear QAM channels. Each device requires has two coax inputs, so now I have my coax split 6 ways. The signal strength is now borderline--I occasionally see dropouts when watching TV, and signal strength on my HD box is between 33 and 34 (was 36-37 before).

There's no attenuator on my line coming from the ONT (as far as I can tell). When I phone, tech implied that they could boost the signal at the ONT, but they won't since it could damage my splitter.... and the only way to fix things is have a tech come out and install additional outlets (even though I don't need additional outlets installed, just a boost in my signal strength).

Is there any way to boost the signal from the ONT? I have a Motorola ONT1000M. I read that some ONTs output 16dB or more. Clearly mine is nowhere near that, as the coax run from the ONT is only about 30 feet and my splitter will take about 10 dB off of that. Any tips?

If worst comes to worst, I'm going to buy my own amp, but rather not have to do that.

0 Likes
Re: Added tuners, now coax signal is too weak
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

If you need more signal to your tuner only devices then you can add any cable amp. 

However, you can't add an amplifier to the line (or lines) that feed Verizon STBs as this would block the MoCA IP path and you will lose VOD, guide, widgets, etc.  Even amps that are called bi-directional won't work as they are designed for traditional cable systems and the return path is below channel 2 (< 50 MHz) and Verizon's MoCA signal is around 1 GHz and will be blocked.

0 Likes