Adding a room for my new quantum service
Itsgotime1
So I upgraded to FiOS Quantum recently and my package Was delivered this morning. The 3 rooms I had before are installed and working just fine. The new room has to have the wall coax setup and working. Verizon wanted to charge $150 to make that happen and I can't think of a worse way to spend $150. I'm comfortable around electricity and electronics. My question is with the cable pulled throughout the house already how much would it take to get setup doing it myself?
0 Likes
Re: Adding a room for my new quantum service
RDJim
Contributor - Level 1

Your question does not make sense to me.  Are you asking how much cable you'll need?  How  would anyone know that?  Or How much money it would take?  Same thing,  unless one knows how much cable you'll need it's impossible to answer.  That said, high quality coax, junction box and a wall outlet would probably cost less than $150.  But be warned, this FIOS digital signal does not like long shared runs.  I had 6 TVs running fine off my normal cable.  I switched to FIOS and the upstairs TVs would not work due to poor or weak signal due to long shared runs and low quality cable installed by my builder.  So if you want Verizon to support your install if it does not work be prepared to pay them.  So much for any savings.  Best to just let Verizon do it - that is if they'll agree to pull cables behind your walls.  That $150 price probably will get you a minimal install, whatever that means.  Our local FIOS guys are pretty good.  But  I've seen big city isntallers run cables along walls, over interior doors - just stapled in place for all to see.  Best to get in writing exactly what they're going to do before you authorize any work.  Good luck.

0 Likes
Re: Adding a room for my new quantum service
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Couple of comments:

1) Verizon will only guarantee the cable for the day they install. After that, any issues are on you unless you have inside wiring maintenance plan.

2) Its not that hard. I assume what you are saying is that coax has been run to the house. Would need a few more details (do the coax all terminate in one location, how many ports you have one your splitters, etc) to say for sure.

Typically, all you would need is another splitter and maybe a jumper to connect it up and go.

0 Likes