Am I even getting HD quality picture?
mvidaure
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hello,
We just bought a new HD tv and wanted to make sure it was actually taking advantage of HD. Our last tv was also HD but when we disconnected all the cables, the only cable connecting the old tv and the Set Top Box was the coax cable that goes into the RF IN. There was also a cable with GREEN/BLUE/RED and WHITE/RED components connected to the older tv but weren't even connected to the Set Top Box. There's no green/blue/red plugs in the box so I don't know where to plug them in. I also have an HDMI cable but the Set Top Box doesn't have a port for that either.
In short, am I getting HD or not with just the white coax cable connecting my new tv to the Set Top Box? Is that cable DTV/TV?
Thank you,
Miguel V.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Am I even getting HD quality picture?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The 2500 is an SD only box.  Won't tune or display HD.

You need to get an HD box.  Outside of Northern NJ and NYC Metro the HD boxes cost $4 a month (each) more than you are currently paying for the 2500s.

HD models are the 7100, 7216, or 7232 (the last 2 are DVRs and are $15.99 per month).  I'm assuming that Verizon is no longer distributing thw 6xxx HD series since they won't fully support the next software upgrade.

View solution in original post

matcarl
Master - Level 1

You sound like you don't have an HD box. You need to get an HD box and connect it with the HDMI cable or the component cable for HD.

mvidaure
Enthusiast - Level 2
I thought that too but, according to the CUSTOMIZE YOUR TV section on My Verizon, I have two Set Top Boxes that have the following features (according to the site):

• Works on High Definition or Standard Definition TVs
• Watch HD and standard definition programming
• Access to extensive Video On Demand library with HD and SD content
• Interactive Media Guide

If the site is telling me that I have these SEt Top Boxes, then I should right? Unless Verizon gave me non-HD boxes. 

Thank you
greinstein
Enthusiast - Level 3

@mvidaure wrote:
I thought that too but, according to the CUSTOMIZE YOUR TV section on My Verizon, I have two Set Top Boxes that have the following features (according to the site):

• Works on High Definition or Standard Definition TVs
• Watch HD and standard definition programming
• Access to extensive Video On Demand library with HD and SD content
• Interactive Media Guide

If the site is telling me that I have these SEt Top Boxes, then I should right? Unless Verizon gave me non-HD boxes. 

Thank you

If the box has a plug for a HDMI cable, connect that way.  If no HDMI plug, probably not aHD box.

Justin46
Legend

How to tell is simple, what model STBs do you have? The model number is on the front of the STBs, in the lower left corner.

Keller, TX 76248

mvidaure
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help guys.

Justin, the model number is QIP 2500-3. I tried looking it up on google yesterday but couldn't find any info on it.

So, if they aren't HD boxes, will they replace them free of charge since I asked for HD boxes?

-Miguel

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The 2500 is an SD only box.  Won't tune or display HD.

You need to get an HD box.  Outside of Northern NJ and NYC Metro the HD boxes cost $4 a month (each) more than you are currently paying for the 2500s.

HD models are the 7100, 7216, or 7232 (the last 2 are DVRs and are $15.99 per month).  I'm assuming that Verizon is no longer distributing thw 6xxx HD series since they won't fully support the next software upgrade.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

ask them to upgrade, and that you want to take advantage of the CPE bundling price,  they bundle the cost of cable boxes, and the more you have the better and cheaper they get. 

mvidaure
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone for your help. I knew there was something weird; it just didn't look like HD despite MY VERIZON telling me that I had one.

Take care,

Miguel

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

As Keyboards said, that is an SD box, so you will never, ever get an HD picture from it, you one of the HD boxes. How long have you had the QIP2500? Verizon has stopped distributing those, you can't even order one any more, been that way for several months I think.

To get an HD box, you can contact the Verizon ordering department by phone or chat, or you can log into MyVerizon and order from there. Typically they will ship a box to you. And if you don't get one of the HD DVRs, as Keyboards said the price outside NY/NJ will be $10/mo (rounded).

Anyway, the key is, you have an SD box and need an HD box to get an HD picture on your HD TV.

Keller, TX 76248