Amazon Firesticks not working
koolbreeze711
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I'm a new Verizon subscriber. I can't imagine what possibly could be happening that doesn't allow my firesticks to work. I'd probably wouldn't even direct problem to Verizon but's it's all four of them and it's happen once before. I had to call in to tech supporta couple of weeks ago because I was having trouble, the rep did something behind the scenes and in addition to rebooting router, Wholla they all work. So just asking the question here what could possibly be going on? Because if this is going to be recurring then I don't want the aggravation and need to cancel my service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Amazon Firesticks not working
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this answers some of your concerns.

I personally use 2 Chromecast Ultra's for my TV's

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30439829-Using-Amazon-Fire-Stick-with-FIOS-TV

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

For a single Firestick to work properly you need a fairly fast internet connection or it will stutter and freeze. If you try to use all 4 at the same time,  you'll definitely have problems if you have slow internet speeds or poor coverage in the rooms. I'd make sure you had at least 75meg internet service or better and try to connect some of the sticks to your 2.5M network and some to your 5M network to spread the bandwidth load. Rebooting the router usually clears up some issues and is always a good, simple way to start your troubleshooting.

koolbreeze711
Enthusiast - Level 2

So are you telling me Verizon Fios can't handle 4 Amazon Firesticks with two of them hardwired with adapter? I might add I can't even get one of those hardwired to connect without getting the "Home is currently unavailabe - can't connect to the server" error when it says no internet connection issues. What is that?

0 Likes
koolbreeze711
Enthusiast - Level 2

I might also add had the router replaced and still getting error

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@koolbreeze711 wrote:

So are you telling me Verizon Fios can't handle 4 Amazon Firesticks with two of them hardwired with adapter? I might add I can't even get one of those hardwired to connect without getting the "Home is currently unavailabe - can't connect to the server" error when it says no internet connection issues. What is that?

No, what I'm telling you is to make sure you first have the internet speed capacity to handle 4 streaming devices simultaneously. I have no idea if you have slow, or gigabit internet service, you didn't specify that. It is one possible cause for issues. Personally I have 75/75 service, and can stream to a Roku in 4K, 2 tablets and a phone simultaneously.

koolbreeze711
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I just checked again with the Verizon speed test site from my computer (Imac). Not sure if using an IMAC means anything, but interesting though. So the Verizon site does two test Router and Device. Router 949mbps up /845 mbps down, Now the Device which definetly needs a look over is 89mbps Down/130mbps up. Hmmmmm

BTW, that's over WIFI, didn't check with it hardwired

0 Likes
koolbreeze711
Enthusiast - Level 2

Let me just throw something else in this, like I don't have enough, a couple of these TV's are smart TV's so just for kicks I tried watching something on Amazon Prime and it just freezes, those TV's are hardwired to the internet and I know our Amazon Prime account is in good standing!! Hell we just paid for the year couple of months ago. I am going to get Amazon tech on phone though. Yikes!!!

So I'm really not sure what gives, all this started with my switching from Xfinity to Verizon. Never ever had a problem. Still have some time left before my thirty days are up since installation and may have to go back. 

dcicc7

We just switched from Comcast (100mpbs connection) to Fios (1Gigabite) because of the price difference. Our firestick never had an issue on comcast, and we can't watch anything with constant pausing on Fios. The fire stick is literaly six inches away from the router, so it is not signal disturbance. Tried rebooting and unpluging firestick. It might work for a few minutes. Tried changing channels on Verizon 2.4, still doesn't work. So it's not just you. I wish I had an answer for you. I was so psyched to save $100 a month on internet/cable, after figured increasing my mbps ten fold would be better, but it's not. My other devices connect fine, no better or worse than comcast, but the fire stick is so frustrating its not worth it.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

All I can say then since you both test fine for internet speed is that unless there is an interference problem, post here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

They will help very quickly.

Also there is a way using Vudu app without signing in to do a speed test with the Firestick. Install Vudu app, go to Browse, My Vudu, Info and settings, Network speed test. You should be able to stream 1080 at a minimum.