Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get it fast with In-store & curbside pickup or same day delivery.

Another eSata question, is power provided over the eSata cable?

swanscn
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Another eSata question, is power provided over the eSata cable?

Message 1 of 5
(1,277 Views)

Looking through the FAQ I did not see this answered. I have a Seagate Freeagent eSata drive and it gets its power (to run) over the eSata cable. Will this work with a Verizon DVR?

4 REPLIES 4
annsera
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Another eSata question, is power provided over the eSata cable?

Message 2 of 5
(1,271 Views)

You have a spare drive from a laptop or something? In that case, you'll buy a drive case for it and the case will provide power.  The disk itself is not powered, but hte case powers it.

I don't have the Verszon box yet, but I have used external Sata drives in various configurations (piggybacking external drives, for  example). If the label on the connector you're using says "eSata", then I really think that you're going to be OK.

Buy a case that has an LED on it  so that you can verify that it's receiving power.

annsera
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(1,266 Views)

Here's an example of a pretty cool drive -- you could connect the eSata cable and the USB cable at the back so that you wouldn't need to have an extra extension.  http://www.usbgear.com/SATA-IDE-U2.html 

Anyway, still assuming that you have a spare 3.5 Sata drive, then just make sure that you buy the eSata (powered) drive enclosure.

swanscn
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 5
(1,262 Views)

Like you I am very familiar with all sorts of disk drives. The one I would like to use is a Seagate freeagent that I have just lying around. I has a eSata connector, but power supplied over the eSata cable. This enclosure has no external power source.

swanscn
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(1,226 Views)

Based on a previous reply, it appears that power is not available through the eSata port. Generally 3.5 drives need a separate power supply, I will be using a 2.5 drive if that makes any difference.

I will try this out later this week and then know for sure.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.