Another eSata question, is power provided over the eSata cable?
swanscn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looking through the FAQ I did not see this answered. I have a Seagate Freeagent eSata drive and it gets its power (to run) over the eSata cable. Will this work with a Verizon DVR?

0 Likes
Re: Another eSata question, is power provided over the eSata cable?
annsera

You have a spare drive from a laptop or something? In that case, you'll buy a drive case for it and the case will provide power.  The disk itself is not powered, but hte case powers it.

I don't have the Verszon box yet, but I have used external Sata drives in various configurations (piggybacking external drives, for  example). If the label on the connector you're using says "eSata", then I really think that you're going to be OK.

Buy a case that has an LED on it  so that you can verify that it's receiving power.

0 Likes
annsera

Here's an example of a pretty cool drive -- you could connect the eSata cable and the USB cable at the back so that you wouldn't need to have an extra extension.  http://www.usbgear.com/SATA-IDE-U2.html 

Anyway, still assuming that you have a spare 3.5 Sata drive, then just make sure that you buy the eSata (powered) drive enclosure.

0 Likes
swanscn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like you I am very familiar with all sorts of disk drives. The one I would like to use is a Seagate freeagent that I have just lying around. I has a eSata connector, but power supplied over the eSata cable. This enclosure has no external power source.

0 Likes
swanscn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Based on a previous reply, it appears that power is not available through the eSata port. Generally 3.5 drives need a separate power supply, I will be using a 2.5 drive if that makes any difference.

I will try this out later this week and then know for sure.

0 Likes