Any guide updates coming soon?
jmejiaa

Hello,

I like many others hate the bulky, bloated, huge and slow guide. Sorry to say I have been watching less tv because of it. Maybe this is a good thing? So... I have been cosidering canceling and going back to cablevision since they keep coming around to beg for my money. besides the guide i really have no other issues with Verizon and I love the internet, so i really don't want to leave but this thing really does piss me off. Do we know if the layout will change anytime within the next year? Make it cleaner and more simple? Or at least give us the option to hide channels for example.

Thanks for any info

0 Likes
Re: Any guide updates coming soon?
Pstreicher
Enthusiast - Level 2

I see you haven't gotten any reply on this. Go figure. They have no idea I assume. I'm pissed at this setup also. I want to be able to add favorites from the favorite button, not have to go to Menu, then Settings, then scroll down to Favorites, and now this morning I see I have Favorites 1 and 2 and Flipping Channels. What a joke that is.

I really wanted to post that this morning I turn on the t.v. in the office and I can only see channels 13 to 165 on the guide. I had to call into the Resolution Center and have someone re-download the software and then it worked again. How lame is that?

Seems you never know when you are going to wake up and have to reprogram all your settings into your box again because they did an upgrade without telling you. Now I'm wondering what else is messed up that I'll find my accident when I least want to. God how I hate all this technology. It's worse than a houseful of brats. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Pstreicher wrote:

I see you haven't gotten any reply on this. Go figure. They have no idea I assume. I'm pissed at this setup also. I want to be able to add favorites from the favorite button, not have to go to Menu, then Settings, then scroll down to Favorites, and now this morning I see I have Favorites 1 and 2 and Flipping Channels. What a joke that is.

I really wanted to post that this morning I turn on the t.v. in the office and I can only see channels 13 to 165 on the guide. I had to call into the Resolution Center and have someone re-download the software and then it worked again. How lame is that?

Seems you never know when you are going to wake up and have to reprogram all your settings into your box again because they did an upgrade without telling you. Now I'm wondering what else is messed up that I'll find my accident when I least want to. God how I hate all this technology. It's worse than a houseful of brats. 

Both of the things you mention you want are available, right now.

1) To add or remove a channel to or from your Favorites list (either list 1 or 2), while you are viewing the channel, hit the Options (Help) button on the remote. You will see a vertical set of icons on the left side of the screen, scroll up or down to the action you want, and press OK. All done.

2) To make the Guide button (yes, really, the Guide button) to show only your Favorites:

a) Set up one or both Favorites lists

b) Set Flip by Favorites to whichever Favorites list you want to be the default

c) Set Favorites button to Toggle Flip by Favorites

d) Exit the Menu

Now, hit the Favorites button, it should give you a little display on the upper right of the screen that shows which list you are using to "flip by": Favroites 1, Favorites 2, or All Channels. Leave it on the list you want to use, and hit the Guide button. If you left it on a Favorites list, then hitting the Guide button will display only that Favorites list. You can easily verify which list you are using from the Guide button by looking at the upper left corner of the Guide being displayed, it will show you which list is being used.

If you only have entries in one Favorites list, then only that Favorites list plus All Channels will be offered.

Hope this helps.

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

Message Edited by Justin on 11-12-2008 01:06 PM
0 Likes
jmejiaa

Thanks for the response but is there anything being done about the look, can I make the guid apear in the bottom just a small bar instead of a huge thing thats takes up half the screen. Can I stop it from Making the selected channel in the guide blow up to take half the screen?

And the fact that it is so so slow, like I press a button and it takes a second or two to realize it. 

Also, with the hdtv boxes since they are different hardware is it a little faster?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

jmejiaa,

There are  certainly some options currently available, but probably not exactly what you want:

1) (full) Guide appear at the bottom? No. But there is the option for the Half Screen Guide, which puts the Guide on the right side of the screen, 1/2 hour showing only, with the current channel displayed in a much larger window on the left side. You can set the default for the Guide you want, full screen or half screen, in the Menu ==> Settings ==> Television. Even if you leave the Guide as full screen, you can get the half screen Guide at any time by hitting the Up Arrow button (the one above the OK button). If you want to see just the Guide info for the channel you are watching, just hit the Down Arrow button (the one below the OK button), this will display a 90 minute Guide showing the current channel (big) plus the channels above and below the current channel (small). This Guide can be scrolled right and left like the full Guide, including using the Skip and Replay buttons to go to the next day, etc.

2) There is no way currently that I know of to affect the size of the currently selected channel in the Guide. In the original Interactive Programming Guide (IPG) that preceeded the IMG, it did not work the way it does now, the current channel info was not displayed in a larger font. I personally have mixed emotions about the way it is now, I was used to all of the entries being displayed the same size and liked it, but I have pretty much adapted to the current method, so it really doesn't bother me much now. But it sure did in the beginning.

3) Slow? Mine most certainly is not. It takes close to a second from the time I hit the Guide button for the Guide to appear, which seems reasonable to me. When I hit the channel up or down button it typically takes 1/4 to 1/2 second to go to the next channel. If I type in a channel number while viewing the Guide, unless I enter all 4 digits, it takes only 1/4 or so seconds to go to the selected channel (if I enter less than 4 digits, it waits to see if I am going to enter more, so it is slower). 

I have an HD DVR and two SD STBs, I have tried all of the above on both SD and HD and they seem to work about the same for me. 

Hope the above helps a little bit. Maybe the next release of the IMG will include some additional options to tailor the Guide more to your liking.

Justin
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes
jmejiaa
Thank you, it would be nice if when you press the down arrow you only see the one row, then you can go up or down. One big one with 2 small ones just looks clutered
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I agree with you, but if there is a way I have yet to find it. Anybody???

Justin
IMG 1.6.0, Build 06.89
Keller, TX

0 Likes