Re: Any idea how to Pause, Fast Forward, or Rewind live tv?
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@crazyray wrote:

You actually can pause live TV, but only if its being recorded on the main DVR.

This is incorrect.  The DVR is always buffering liveTV (as long as you are not recording 2 shows) and you should be able to pause or rewindat any time - you do not need to be recording.  I have had DVR service for over 2 years and it has worked fine on live TV.

You can "reset" the box by pulling the power for 30 seconds, or do it online from your My Verizon account.  A more complete reset can be done by Verizon - ask fior a re-intialization.

Message Edited by Keyboards on 07-22-2009 05:55 AM
0 Likes
CapnTrips
Contributor - Level 3

Keyboards, crazyray was responding to the question about pausing live TV from a NON-DVR STB in a MR-DVR household.  His response describes (correctly) an awkward method by which you can "pause", "rewind" etc. "Live TV" from a non-DVR STB ONLY if that "live" show is being recorded on the MR-DVR.

A bizarre workaround, but I suppose that it works.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@CapnTrips wrote:

Keyboards, crazyray was responding to the question about pausing live TV from a NON-DVR STB in a MR-DVR household.  His response describes (correctly) an awkward method by which you can "pause", "rewind" etc. "Live TV" from a non-DVR STB ONLY if that "live" show is being recorded on the MR-DVR.

A bizarre workaround, but I suppose that it works.

Misunderstood exactly what question his response was to.  Mea Culpa.

0 Likes
rjonline

I'm REALLY having a problem rewinding LIVE TV on my DVR box. I was just watching local PBS (510) in HD, had it on 10 minutes, watching my DVR box. Pushed skip-back: nothing. Pushed rewind: seemed to go into a slow-motion crawl, but then reverted to "live" show. There were no other concurrent programs being recorded (no red light on). There were no programs about to record (it was about 7:20PM PST). The other STB in the house is a non-DVR STB, and it was on.

Just BROKEN.

Next, i tried pushing the record button. Red light on.  If I had been buffering the last 10 minutes of the show, it should record that, right? WRONG. Then I went to the DVR menu, saw my program, selected it, pushed play. IT TOOK ME TO THE LIVE SHOW, not the start of the bufered program. (Might have worked if I had pressed start from the top). I tried rewind, and skip back, don't work.

BTW, this is a new installation (3 weeks), I've hardly recorded anything, lots of free space on the DVR.

Next, I went to the DVR, and tried to watch SOMETHING ELSE that was previously recorded. Fine. After a while, I went back to the DVR menu, went back to the channel 510 recording in progress, pushed OK -> Resume Play. It resumed from where I left off. I tried rewind: DID NOT REWIND.   Next I went back to the DVR menu, selected the program, then OK, -> Play from Start.

AHA. It started the recording over from the top, and I fast-forwarded to the segment 15 minutes into the show (about Richard AKA D!ck Fuld - the Verizon bad-word minder script converts his common name to star-bleep-star, what a riot). This time I watched the segment again, and there were multiple places where the picture pixelated and sound dropped: bad data.

So, when the signal is interrupted and craps out, this seems to scramble the ability of the box to go forward-backward. Or, my box corrupted an otherwise good signal, and the recording system is fudged by this.

Either way, if this continues to happen with regularity, I will swap out this STB as defective, or I'll wish I could drop the service. What good is digital service if it's going to drop out more than the old analog signals? Come on guys. We're conditioned to expect bad connections by cell phone, now do we have to put up with this lower QoS on TV too?

0 Likes
rjonline

AHA. A correction: it is possible to change the setting for skip forward-back.

Menu --> Settings --> DVR  --> Skip  allows settings of skip 10 seconds, 30 seconds (default) and 1 minute.

Menu --> Settings --> DVR  --> Replay  allows settings of  10 seconds, 30 seconds (default) and 1 minute.

That said, I was watching a channel today BBG for a long time, and AGAIN when I pressed the replay button, NOTHING HAPPENED.

Press the rewind button, it goes into slo-mo  FORWARD for a few seconds and does not rewind even though the LED display shows "r n d" to indicate rewind. 

I tried pushing the record button, let it record a few minutes, went to the DVR --> my program  ->> Play button, and it did not allow me to 'start from beginning, rewind did not go backwards behind the point that I pushed "Play." 

I changed to a local broadcast HD channel: skip / replay started working.

I changed back to the BBG channel, waited a few moments, tried rewind / skip started working.

So the best I can say is that this cable box only seems to allow rewind / replay / skip forward on some channels, some of the time, for reasons that I don't know.

Another add-on. I went to look at the "change services" online store for FIOS STBs. Features listed there for different types of box:

"DVR" says "Record up to 80 hours of Standard Definition programming or up to 18 hours of HD programming."

"High Definition Home Media DVR" says nothing about recording time, oddly
I have to wonder if this Home Media HD DVR is just not up to it, and maybe if I swap out BOTH of my DVR boxes to just what they call "DVR" all my problems will be solved..

0 Likes
rjonline

And, FYI regarding my rants about skip / rewind not working, my box is Home Media HD/DVR, firmware is rev 1.6.2 build 08.58

0 Likes