Re: Any other loyal customers get jerked around?
oneintouch
Enthusiast - Level 3

It might be wise for you (the OP, and anyone else interested, for that matter) to read the review of cable companies in the newest (May 2011) Consumer Reports magazine.  It was very enlightening, especially for me who had Optimum for years and years before FiOS was available in my area. 

According to the ratings, FiOS came in #1 country-wide for bundled services overall.  Optimum came in at #8! 

Some other highlights:  Price AFTER the promotional period was considered "Average" for FiOS, and "Poor" for Optimum.  Picture quality was considered "Average" for Optimum, TV sound quality was considered "Average" as well.  For FiOS, picture quality was "Excellent" and TV sound quality "Excellent" as well. 

0 Likes
Jerkedaround
Enthusiast - Level 3

Funny to hear you say that, because I have heard that internet is almost identical For example,  .3 seconds to download a pic with FIOS and .5 seconds  to download a pic with Optimum.  TV not much different, however, FIOS is a bit better (not $500 a year better though), and phone is exactly the same, not one bit of difference other than less taxes to pay.  There really is a slight difference, and I do agree that FIOS is a slight bit better, but again, not $500 better!  Plus, when you get treated like a piece of crap form a company, I really don't care how good you are, treat me with respect and like I am of some value.  When Optimum does this to me maybe I'll come back I'm sure FIOS will offer me a GREAT deal to get me back LOL  This is what these companies do, they treat you like gold to get you, then once you're in  you're just a insignificant number!

0 Likes
Jerkedaround
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oneintouch, NOT $500 a year better!  Many of my friends have Optimum, not much difference, just two companies that treat you great to get you and treat you like crap once you leave.  All about money to them!  Plus, Consumer Reports is not always correct, I bought many products they recommended...bottom line, I wish I never read the magazine LOL  sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong.  Cannot always believe what you read people!  FIOS is not far supperior, better maybe, but not by that much! IMHO (yes it is honest, I've always said that, even when I was with FIOS

0 Likes
GaryQuiring1
Contributor - Level 1

I can't go back to CableVision either.  The main reason I dumped them was their very slow internet speeds every evening.  I had the 15/2 service which works fine after midnight, but every evening around 8pm the speed would dip below 1meg.  All my neighbors experienced the same speed issues.  When I switched to FIOS my speeds are the same 24/7 and in most cases the speeds are more than what my contract states.  Cablevision didn't care when I left, it was only 6 months later that the deals started showing up at my door with sales people or mailers.  When I had DirecTV it was the same issue, no deals until after I left.  It's normal practice for them to not offer current customers the same deals that new customers can get.

oneintouch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, it's good that you have a choice, and you can now select what cable company you feel is best for your needs.

As far as the magazine is concerned, the bulk of the scores are compiled from tens of thousands of survey respondants (Don't hold me to it, but I think it's around 100,000 respondants).  I have had Cablevision for decades, then Optimum for years and years... as soon as it was offered on the market.  When FiOS was finally available here, I switched (a little reluctantly, I might add), and would never go back.  From MY personal experience, the test results are right on the money. 

Anyway, I'm not trying to change your mind at all, not all of us want the same things.  I realize that.  I was just trying to give you a little up-to-date information that might assist you in making your own decision.  If you're interested, it may pay to get your hands on the whole CR article (incidently, it's about lowering your cable bill).  If you can no longer get the magazine, there's an option for subscribing to CR online for 1 month for a nominal fee.  

0 Likes
Jerkedaround
Enthusiast - Level 3

Absolutely Oneintouch, I understand.  I was just sayoing that Consumer reports steered me wrony aeveral times.  Anyway, Optimum will screw me too in a couple of years, however, like you said "it's good I have a choice".  These companies play you, so I play them right back.  As for the spped, I went to My in laws and a friend...internet speed was absolutely fine in both cases, I see very little, if anny difference.  I will come back to FIOS whn Optimum scews me and FIOS offers me a great deal.  No difference to me at all.  Thanks all for the feedback.  I hope I didn't insult anyone, I'm just so annoyed with thse big companies that think we should be thankful for letting us buy their services.  Sometimes respect owerpowers internet speed (like I said no difference anyway).  Take care and best of luck!

0 Likes