Any way to adjust output video resolution from STB?
AdamCV

I have a HD Pioneer video monitor (PDP-503CMX + PDA5002) and a HDTV Sharp LC-26SB14U.  The pioneer supports native HD video resolution of 1080i and the Sharp supports native 720p.  Both units have a feature that allows users to "scroll through" multiple "display modes" (e.g., full, zoom, wide, etc.) to match up the display of the current video to the viewer's tastes.  The "best looking" format depends on the broadcast content / quality / format.

This "display mode" functionality worked on both my "TVs" when I used Time Warner cable, a week ago.  They also worked when I used an antenna to pull HD broadcasts off-air.  But now that I have swtiched to FiOS the STB seems to somehow "fix" the video output signal in some way so that both TVs show only the "full" display.  I don't like it -- the edges of the video (both top/bottom and sides) are cropped ... and worse yet, this display mode suppresses the crisp "native display" mode in favor of an inferior display mode where the video signal seems to be somehow "interpolated."  This interpolation / artificial enlargement results in a poorer quality video -- particularly noticable on the 52" monitor.

Any ideas how to adjust the STB output so that it uses the "native display" mode, if it must be locked into only one mode ... or better yet how to set the video output signal so that I can choose the mode myself (like I was able to do with the cable box and off-air antenna)?

Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Any way to adjust output video resolution from STB?
Justin46
Legend

@AdamCV wrote:

I've tried punching that green "D" button on the Verizon remote (labeled "aspect" just above) but it has no effect.

The "D" button is NOT the Aspect button, the "#" button is the Aspect button. Just like the "*" button is the Closed Caption button.

Keller, TX 76248

View solution in original post

0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1
the verizon STB should display the pic in 4x3 mode for SD and 16x9 for HD by default. To make sure that this is how the stb is displaying. Go to the front of the STB ( NOT ON THE REMOTE ) and with the box on. press   POWER--->Select--->Menu  in that order and you should get a user settings menu on the screen.  Make sure that the line that says  4x3 over ride is set to OFF. If this is the case, then the stb is set to default, and the altered pic is being altered by the tv or reciever. If it is set for anything other than OFF then change it to OFF and your TV/reciever would then have total control
0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@AdamCV wrote:

Any ideas how to adjust the STB output so that it uses the "native display" mode, if it must be locked into only one mode ... or better yet how to set the video output signal so that I can choose the mode myself (like I was able to do with the cable box and off-air antenna)?

Thanks.

There is no "native" or pass-thru mode on the Verizon STB.  You can select either 1080i or 720p for HD output (the box will interpolate to that fixed resolution regardless of the source material resolution).

The additional choice is what is called 4:3 override.  You can pick 480i, 480p, stretch or OFF.  The first 3 are self explanatory while the last one (OFF) outputs SD in 4:3 aspect ratio upconverted to your selected HD resolution.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
AdamCV

So let me clarify:  the issue I'm having affects only HD transmissions (so I'm not worried about the 4x3 mode -- though I did play with these settings just to confirm they had no affect on the HD display).  And I'm talking about the "true" HD transmissions -- not SD commercials embedded within an HD program.

The HD video is for some reason being displayed in a "zoomed in" mode.  Previously (when I was using Time Warner cable) I myself selected the "display mode" using the remote for my monitor to cycle through the options (full, zoom, wide, etc.)  But now that "display mode" on my monitor's remote has no effect -- it is stuck in "full" mode.  I can tell the picture being shown is in "zoom" mode, though -- all the people's heads are cut off!  So somehow the Verison STB seems to be outputting only one mode:  zoom.  Surely I'm overlooking something simple, here ... because this cannot be the way all their customers view the programming.

I've tried punching that green "D" button on the Verizon remote (labeled "aspect" just above) but it has no effect.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@AdamCV wrote:

The "D" button is NOT the Aspect button, the "#" button is the Aspect button. Just like the "*" button is the Closed Caption button.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
AdamCV

Ahhh.  problem solved!  I'm glad it WAS in fact "something simple I'm overlooking!"

It's interesting though ... that button now works exactly like the "display mode" button previously worked on my monitor's remote -- cycling through the 3 or 4 available modes.  But now that button on my monitor's remote doesn't have any affect at all.   Oh well, I guess I won't wonder about it any more, now that my picture looks right.

Thanks.

0 Likes