Arris setbox indicator blinking
BigCats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

During the night all 3 set boxes turned on automatically & there is what looks like a lightbolt indicator flashing on the bottom left side of the time. What does this mean? It's been at least 3 hours! My 1st thought was a software update but wouldn't it be done by now?

0 Likes
Re: Arris setbox indicator blinking
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The LEDs, indeed, will blink during updates. They will remain fully illuminated after the process has been completed, despite the units being turned off. I don't think what is being seen indicates a trouble condition with any of the receivers.

BigCats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for replying! it has been at least 5 hours! Isn't that a long time for a software upgrade?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've never seen the flashing lightning bolt before. Could it be an indication that the remote control batteries are low? 🤔

BigCats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, when batteries are low I get message on TV screen. I did google & found 2014 message stating this icon is for software update. Everywhere I search it sounds like updates are quick though & this is over 5 hours! Hoping someone from Verizon tells me this is normal or steps I can do to stop icon flashing on all 3 set boxes.

0 Likes
clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BigCats wrote:

No, when batteries are low I get message on TV screen. I did google & found 2014 message stating this icon is for software update. Everywhere I search it sounds like updates are quick though & this is over 5 hours! Hoping someone from Verizon tells me this is normal or steps I can do to stop icon flashing on all 3 set boxes.

The blinking green light does indeed indicate a firmware update taking place. You may need to powercycle the entire system if it had an issue during the update. Unplug power from all fios boxes, then unplug power from the router. Plug the router back in first, and when its done with its light show, plug in each box, one at a time waiting for them to update.

BigCats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

My main set box Is now okay but the other 2 are still blinking .. could that mean it is taking longer to do update?

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll defer to Clem, but, there have been a few times (rare) when I've had to power cycle my ONT to get cable TV boxes righted after a reset. 🤔

clem21
Community Leader
Community Leader

@BigCats wrote:

My main set box Is now okay but the other 2 are still blinking .. could that mean it is taking longer to do update?

Yes, or the update only partially downloaded or didn't apply properly. Try the procedure I posted above, but do not unplug the good box.

BigCats1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just did what you suggested & the 2 remaining boxes STILL blinking! Any other suggestions? My Arris boxes are about 5 years old Model number VMS1100.