Aspect Ratio is way off for no reason. Picture looks Zoomed in!
AV300

Hello, hope somebody can help me out here. 

I got home today, turned on the TV, and immediately noticed that the picture appeared zoomed in. I have a Samsung 6500 series LED tv, use HDMI , and have never had any issues with Fios.

My SD channels all had a minimized screen and appeared cropped. My HD channels were full screen but appeared cropped as well. The picture simply looked as if a 'zoom' option was used and large portions of the picture are cut out, This is horizontal as well as vertical.

I have 3 STB's and each one of them had this issue so I know it wasnt a problem with my TV.

I checked every possible screen ratio and picture size. Screen resolution was properly set. I even reset each STB manually and checked the connections. Nothing was changed on my end since the last time I watched TV when I had no problems.

I was on the phone with tech support for quite some time and the gentleman did everything he could to find out what the issue was but to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Aspect Ratio is way off for no reason. Picture looks Zoomed in!
lordofring
Enthusiast - Level 3

Its look like your video settings has a problem.what are the settings you had in your boxes?

Try using the below settings

Menu->settings->video settings-> video format > 720p1080

Menu->settings->video settings-> SD override > Zoom

and there is aspect button in remote which will zoom in and zoom out.Let me know if your problem got solved .

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

could be the aspect ratio button too

It's the # key on the fios remote. 

Also sometimes HDMI just "glitches"   so try with a different cable even if it's an SD cable and see if it looks the same.   if it looks normal on another cable, then it may be a glitch with the cable. 

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

could be the aspect ratio button too

It's the # key on the fios remote. 

Also sometimes HDMI just "glitches"   so try with a different cable even if it's an SD cable and see if it looks the same.   if it looks normal on another cable, then it may be a glitch with the cable. 

I don't understand how a cable could impact something like this. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

HDMI Glitches have different symptoms.  It would have to be an HDMI cable though.  Analog cables won't glitch in that fashion. 

0 Likes
tenpinalley

I have the exact same problem!

I have an LG television and only one STB, so I initially thought that I might have accidentally changed my aspect ratio setting (until I realized there wasn't a single button to accidentally press to do that!).

My DVD plays fine through my TV, so the TV isn't totally broken.

I called Verizon and they couldn't do anything, they suggested trying the box to another TV and everything worked!

Next I plugged by STB to the original TV and the problem resumed.

Then I skipped by BOSE surround sound tuner and plugged my HDMI cable straight from the STB to the TV and the resolution is fine.

What I don't get is that my DVD plays fine through the BOSE tuner.  

I'll try switching cables, but I don't know how a cable can just go bad spontaneously.

Let me know if anyone finds a fix in the mean time.

Thanks!

0 Likes
tenpinalley

I just found my problem:

I rerouted the cable from my STB to my DVD input on my tuner (since I know that the DVD works fine).  The result was the aspect ratio was restored.

So from here I determined that there was a hardware problem at the STB input on the tuner or somehow the setting got changed.

I looked over my tuner's remote and there it was, a single button to cycle through aspect ratios.  I must have sat on it or something.

I don't understand how this situation could affect three sets of STBs and TVs simultaneously though, unless you have you also have a surround sound system that is travelling all over your house.

0 Likes