Audio Drop Outs, Channel 870 disappeared last night, pixelation
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have been with FiOS since my area was wired for it. That makes my Motorola DVR about 7 years old. I had the same problems in March of this year. On any of the TVs, ( 2 STBs and 1 DVR) I will intermittently encounter audio drop outs, "popping/cracking" sounds, picture pixelation, last night @ 1 AM, CH. 870 dropped out completely. I rebooted the STB, no good. I have done warm and hard reboots of the DVR and 2 STBs, to no avail. In March of this year, a Vz tech came out, and went into the Service Menu, finding the signal strength was below the acceptable range. He renewed all of the coax connections, replaced two splitters, and a recheck of the Service Menu showed the signal had increased to the lower end of the acceptable range. All 3 TV performed OK for about three months, then the exact same symptoms started very slowly appearing again. The symptoms are now evident most every time I use any of the 3 TVs. I read online that all of the output signals have to go through the DVR first- is that true? The Vz tech said in March that if the symptoms reappeared, he would replace the DVR. I have grown waery of rebooting the boxes, and I checked all of the coax connections for integrity. Time for a service call I suspect?     RJM

A note about Vz prioces and channel offerings: My next door neighbor just had Xfinity installed. He has 1 STB, 1 DVR, 100MB+ Internet, and unlimted phone service. He has every pay channel I do, (all of the premium channels, including Smithsonian and Nat Geo, everything in HD). He also has access to the ENTIRE HBO catalog, such as being able to watch "Game Of Thrones" from the very beginning. All of this for $120 per month, 2 years fixed price. My bill is over $100 more than that, and I don't have all of the program access he does such as the entire HBO archives. Why is it Vz gives the very best deals to brand new customers, and punishes the people who have supported FiOS from its inception? I feel a balancing of the scales is warranted.

ALL programming go through DVR first?
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seeing as my first posting was ignored, let me simplify the question: Does the video/audio signal I am watching on a regular STB, 40 feet away from the DVR, go through the DVR before arriving at the STB?  I'm getting audio drop outs, screen freezes and pixelation. Almost as bad my old DirecTV service. This is supposed to be the world beating FOC FiOS, but it is not acting that way. The FOC gets converted and spliced to 75 ohm coax anyway. If my neigbors $119 deal from Xfinity holds up, I'm bailing. He is getting everything I am, w/ even faster internet, and paying $100 less per month, guaranteed for 2 years. I'm tired of carrying new Vz customers with their great introductory deals on my back.                           BSTGEER

0 Likes
Re: ALL programming go through DVR first?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have old school DVR and STB,  then live video does not pass through DVR.

Straight from ONT to STB.

Could be cabling issue.

Have you tried moving boxes around?

That will verify if you have cabing issue (which could cause similar problems with another provider) or STB issue.

I would be surprised if you are paying $220 just for service.

And I can't believe you could get XFinity for $119 with STBs to match what you have today.

Not saying they won't be cheaper (teaser rates typically are) but not the margin you list.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also remember you are not talking to Verizon but Peers.

I for example get the Ultimate package and all the popular premiums for $159, with 75/75 internet and phone.  Also a $22 a month credit for two years for Quantum TV service.  That is before taxes,fees and stb fees.    Everything depends on when you renewed and what they offered at that time in your area.

0 Likes
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

I really don't care if you believe it or not. It is the truth.

@CRobGauth wrote:

If you have old school DVR and STB,  then live video does not pass through DVR.

Straight from ONT to STB.

Could be cabling issue.

Have you tried moving boxes around?

That will verify if you have cabing issue (which could cause similar problems with another provider) or STB issue.

I would be surprised if you are paying $220 just for service.

And I can't believe you could get XFinity for $119 with STBs to match what you have today.

Not saying they won't be cheaper (teaser rates typically are) but not the margin you list.

0 Likes
RJMacReady
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns2 wrote:

Also remember you are not talking to Verizon but Peers.

I for example get the Ultimate package and all the popular premiums for $159, with 75/75 internet and phone.  Also a $22 a month credit for two years for Quantum TV service.  That is before taxes,fees and stb fees.    Everything depends on when you renewed and what they offered at that time in your area.

Yes, exactly. Oh, that little thing called STB fees. The rentals of the equipment is the biggest source of income for any provider. The fees, taxes, etc... when added to the rental fees result in monthly bills over $200. Do the math. I have.

0 Likes