Re: Audio Quality Problem
ner
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hey guys,

I got Fios and have been pretty happy with the internet. TV has been ok except for these sound quality issues we're experiencing. I am blind and notice sound quality issues since that is the only thing I pay attention to, not picture quality. I have a HD box but will be getting an SD box for a TV up stairs even though it is an HD set. I have noticed sound quality differences on cc and discovery, but also (yes I am a nerd) on all CSOAN channels. I can switch to hd channels on all channels that are effected because they have hd counterparts, but cspan channels obviously are not hd. Hearing cspan as if it were an AM station isn't a huge deal, but when I get my SD stb for upstairs, I'll get to hear it on many more channels. Yay! I don't understand why some sd channels, many actually (includinglocal) sound fine. Why chop the audio on some channeks and not all SD? I've had problems this week with some SD channels becoming unavailable, and/or coming in and out, but this was fixed by either moving the stb box a few inches or retightening the coax connection. This audio problem makes no absolyte sense. Perhaps I'll sit down and write down all effected channels, then file a trouble ticket?

This is very irritating but not enough for me to want to not use the service.
ner
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1
Just to let everyone know, I'm still experiencing this issue. Also, this problem exists in all areas of Tampa served by the VHO in Temple Terrace.. I've been able to reproduce this problem at anybodies house in the Tampa area that has FiOS.. Same audio quality issue.
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

As a compromise, all posts in this thread that were edited for including trouble ticket numbers have been removed so the original discussion of the issue can continue.

However, please bear in mind that any personally identifiable information -- including trouble ticket numbers -- will be removed as being against the TOS to post such information on the forums. 

Posts that contained such information have been forwarded to the Verizon forum administrators to get an official statement from them on the issue.  If you need assistance with your particular trouble ticket, please send it to one of the FiOS Tech employees on the forum via PM.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Message Edited by KaLin on 08-10-2009 09:29 PM
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

I've got the AM sound back in Kent county Delaware. It seemed to clear up for "Shark Week" and then go back to AM.

I hope a permanent fix is in the making. Smiley Indifferent There are many of us with "Home Theatres" who would like FM quality sound back on WGN, FX, Discovery, Comedy Central and Disney.

Oh, in my area QVC, HSN and ShopNBC are now stricken with AM sound. QVC-HD and HSN-HD still have good sound.

0 Likes
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

Yea, the AM sound is still there. I can't believe Verizon would keep this up. All I know is digitaldarknes5, izub, bull3964, vbdallas, sneskid, myself and others have had it with low definition audio from a company promoting high definition service.

BTW have any of the engineers looked at the sample rates of the digital audio in the chain? 44.1kHz or 48kHz is normal while 22.050kHz or 24kHz means something needs fixing. SBR, just saying.

0 Likes
Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

@Drew_from_Dover wrote:

Yea, the AM sound is still there. I can't believe Verizon would keep this up. All I know is digitaldarknes5, izub, bull3964, vbdallas, sneskid, myself and others have had it with low definition audio from a company promoting high definition service.

So, are we giving up on this? I still have muffled & clipped AM quality sound on Comedy Central & will have to deal with it while watching Futurama tonight. If I'm alone in this I may as well get an HD box to get proper audio.

P.S..: How do I follow up on a trouble ticket number? Would calling get someone to open the ticket and see what has been done up to this point? Can I go online and read the progress of the situation? The last I heard it was a system wide problem. I'd hate to call and have to go through the troubleshooting steps again only to have nothing work (because it's a system wide problem and not my box or stereo). 😞

0 Likes
digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1

I really hope not.. this service is completely unacceptable though..

sneskid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just watched Obama's speech on C-SPAN.  The audio is still bad.  The 8khz high cutoff is extremely ear fatiguing.  

What is going on, Verizon?????  Why is it taking so many months to fix this?

digitaldarknes5
Contributor - Level 1

Yep, terrible service, they obviously don't care...

Not enough people complain so who cares?

It's really awful though, DirecTV and Brighthouse look more enticing every day.

Drew_from_Dover
Contributor - Level 2

This problem may have no where to go but fixed. Today I called the Verizon retail location in Dover Delaware and they said they were the FiOS location and would be opening next week. They will have Verizon FiOS TV on display with WGN, Comedy Central, Discovery and Disney in AM sound. The guy said he knew about the muddy audio and that it was a signal problem caused by the providers (Comedy Central wasn't giving them enough signal).

I know they're wrong but I DON'T CARE. Yes, I don't care what they think the cause is as long as they know about the problem and are more than willing to FIX IT! If Verizon is opening a storefront where I can go and have them turn on 190 to reveal crap audio I know they can't hide from it and they are going to have to fix it. Believe me when I say this long nightmare must end!

I believe Verizon is opening a boatload of these "Verizon retail stores" coast to coast so there may be a store near you.

You know, besides this bug their VOD is quite good. And their audio (when they do it right) blows DirecTV away along with the picture quality. Just fix this. 😛

0 Likes