Audio from STB box questions
Nickcherryhill

I have two questions..

1. It appears I can NOT directly attach just speakers to my set top box? I connected speakers and hear no sound, even with just the speakers plugged in. Is that correct or is there some setting I can adjust.  The STB is already set to variable output  If I add powered speakers, I will be OK?

2. Connecting to a monitor with an HDMI cable it appears the sound level from the STB can NOT be adjusted from the STB.  TWO different STBs with STB output set to variable, adjusting the volume on the STB makes no difference.  Am I missing a setting or is this correct

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Audio from STB box questions
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Nickcherryhill wrote:

I have two questions..

1. It appears I can NOT directly attach just speakers to my set top box? I connected speakers and hear no sound, even with just the speakers plugged in. Is that correct or is there some setting I can adjust.  The STB is already set to variable output  If I add powered speakers, I will be OK?

The audio outputs are line level - in other words not able to drive speakers directly.  They are intended to go to a receiver / amplifier.  Using a set of powered speakers may work if their input is designed to take the lower line level signals as opposed to the speaker levels from the typical PC.

Don't have a definitive  answer for your second question, but I believe (not absolutely sure) that the digital audio carried on HDMI is not affected by the STB volume control.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Nickcherryhill wrote:

I have two questions..

The audio outputs are line level - in other words not able to drive speakers directly.  They are intended to go to a receiver / amplifier.  Using a set of powered speakers may work if their input is designed to take the lower line level signals as opposed to the speaker levels from the typical PC.

Don't have a definitive  answer for your second question, but I believe (not absolutely sure) that the digital audio carried on HDMI is not affected by the STB volume control.

0 Likes
Nickcherryhill

Thanks a lot for the quick/accurate answer.

Your answers pretty much confirm my own analysis/trial and error experiments.

One would THINK they would put this important fact about the line level audio output into the STB manual or into an FAQ online.

The HDMI level seems to be constant and they did send me a second box unnecessarily. If they would just TELL their tech support such simple things, they would have saved quite a bit money and tech time.

Note, too, that a fairly thorough Google search failed to turn up an answer. 

Not to mention I am annoyed they don't directly take questions via email.

This answer will help me get remote control volume access which my other half desperately thinks she needs not to mention that the built-in monitor speakers are poor.

This bedroom set up is giving me a $ 150 1080p 22 inch set up so I'm not really complaining.

Thanks, again.

0 Likes