Re: Audio noise-distortion!
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@frankaty wrote:

It only happens when commercial are transmitted

That's typical these days. I also have ATT U-Verse, same thing there. Its the way advertisers get your attention. The commercial cant exceed a certain volume level and be legal, so they use compression to bring EVERYTHING up in the commercial to that level. Same thing happening with most music lately to get your attention when surfing the stations. Also when the station broadcasts the program material in an UN-compressed state, the commercials seem that much louder. Other than applying your own compression to bring everything to somewhere near the same level there's nothing you can do except write your congressman to get the laws changed. It really has nothing to do with Verizon, or any cable provider.

RayyaLioness

I’m having this issue with a brand new 4K tv!!!! Sound is garbled echo.. I thought it was my hdmi cord but it’s new!!! Any solution Fios or do I need to go back to Xfinity???

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@RayyaLioness wrote:

I’m having this issue with a brand new 4K tv!!!! Sound is garbled echo.. I thought it was my hdmi cord but it’s new!!! Any solution Fios or do I need to go back to Xfinity???

Try powercycling the box by unplugging it for a minute and plugging it back in. If that doesn't help, look at the audio options menu and try changing it from surround to stereo. Make sure you have just the HDMI plugged in for audio, not both HDMI and Optical.

23Smiles

We just became @Fios customers 7 hours ago. First night trying to watch TV and can not due to distorted sound - ours gets "digitized" and sound is garbled - acc completely impossible to watch anything. Not only is it thru the cable box; the wifi signal messed up our @Netflix and @Disney+ too.

Know it is not the TV as that worked perfectly well before our 2pm Fios appointment.  Tried to use live chat feature via @MyFios app to address this with a representative, was given a 10 minute approximate wait and gave up 2 hours later. All in all this has to be the worst new user experience ever! Hours of frustration later and we still can't do a simple thing like watch our TV!  Now to read this thread....I am deeply concerned we made a mistake leaving our previous cable provider.

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@23Smiles wrote:

We just became @Fios customers 7 hours ago. First night trying to watch TV and can not due to distorted sound - ours gets "digitized" and sound is garbled - acc completely impossible to watch anything. Not only is it thru the cable box; the wifi signal messed up our @Netflix and @Disney+ too.

Know it is not the TV as that worked perfectly well before our 2pm Fios appointment.  Tried to use live chat feature via @MyFios app to address this with a representative, was given a 10 minute approximate wait and gave up 2 hours later. All in all this has to be the worst new user experience ever! Hours of frustration later and we still can't do a simple thing like watch our TV!  Now to read this thread....I am deeply concerned we made a mistake leaving our previous cable provider.

First try going to menu on Fios box>settings >audio and video >audio >dynamic range. Set it to none, see if it's better. If not, try heavy. If that doesnt help, contact support.

Here is the preferred list of ways to contact Verizon:

1. @VerizonSupport via Twitter (this is the same team that handles vzdirect on dslreports.com)

2. Fios Facebook page

3. Chat

4. Community (once the customer has exhausted the other 3 options, the moderators will escalate it internally to @VerizonSupport)

5. dslreports.com or YouTube

6. 800 number should always be the last resort

JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing here. New TV. Tried every possible setting.  There's no rhyme or reason but when it happens it's almost as if the speakers are clipping on normal volume.  Very frustrating Verizon.  Sound is pretty integral to the entire TV experience.  Please fix this!!

0 Likes
clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JPV wrote:

Same thing here. New TV. Tried every possible setting.  There's no rhyme or reason but when it happens it's almost as if the speakers are clipping on normal volume.  Very frustrating Verizon.  Sound is pretty integral to the entire TV experience.  Please fix this!!

Just out of curiosity, how are you getting audio? Is the fios box hooked up directly to the TV via HDMI and the audio is from there, or are you using optical from the Fios box? Are you using the TV speakers, or a soundbar hooked up to the TV? Do you have Dolby Digital enabled or PCM audio or just stereo?

JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The firmware upgrade yesterday seems to have fixed things.  It also took the hidden audio passthrough option and unhid it.  It's now under audio settings "audio passthrough".  Interesting as changing these settings in the hidden menu didn't fix it so it's a deeper fix than just those menu options.  I never thought i'd say this but THANK YOU VERIZON!

JPV3
Enthusiast - Level 2

Audio was via HDMI.  Didn't seem to have the issue with toslink from TV to DAC.  This was a problem through TV speakers.It was an issue regardless of dolby digital on/off, PCM audio or stereo.

It is now definitely fixed.  Was a problem yesterday when the announcement came of changes to Fios.  Must have taken a day for firmware to update.  Today everything sounds great! FInally!  Was driving me crazy. 

clem21
MVP MVP
MVP

@JPV wrote:

Audio was via HDMI.  Didn't seem to have the issue with toslink from TV to DAC.  This was a problem through TV speakers.It was an issue regardless of dolby digital on/off, PCM audio or stereo.

It is now definitely fixed.  Was a problem yesterday when the announcement came of changes to Fios.  Must have taken a day for firmware to update.  Today everything sounds great! FInally!  Was driving me crazy. 

Thanks for posting, good to hear its all good now!